New Flowerhorn issues.

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
I've received this Flowerhorn exactly a week ago today. He looked great when I put him in the tank. Here's some pics from last week.

Within the last day or so he started developing protrusions below his bottom lip. There are two or three of them that stick out considerably. They even look kind of "meaty" on the tips of them. It also appears like his bottom lip is protruding out more and the inside of his mouth doesn't look right to me like maybe the protrusions are on the inside also.

The tank is a well established 90 gallon that I've had Mbuna in for the past 4-1/2 years. The parameters are 0-0-10.

What is the world could be going on?

Thanks.

IMG_7107.JPGIMG_7111.JPGIMG_7112.JPGIMG_7114.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
How long does it take for a fish to develop this disease?
Do you think he came from the breeder infected or was there something in my tank that would make him sick that fast?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017

i use this... put him in QT, which was under the sun by the way, i double the dose and water change every 3 days for the first 2 weeks... after that stop metro and use salt, wc every 3 days

works twice for me....

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I would suggest checking out the info in the link that Ron posted. There are a number of strains of this pathogen, what works for one person may not work for another. With the more acute virulent strains, by the time you figure out what it is the fish is already on its last legs. I'm not sure that this is columnaris, but this is one of the many issues with FH - they have weak genetics and seem to get sick if you look at them the wrong way. Metronidazole is not on the recommended drugs of choice to treat columnaris. Again, see link above. Good luck.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store