New guy - and an ID request (please)

desertrefugee

Feeder Fish
Oct 21, 2018
Hi, new to this forum, but I've been keeping cichlids (Malawi) for a long time. Thanks for letting me in the tank.

I do have a question. My son recently acquired this guy and we have no idea what he is. Looks South American, but beyond that I don't have a clue.

Does anybody know this species?

Thanks!

IMG_0366.JPG

Reactions: tlindsey

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Hi, new to this forum, but I've been keeping cichlids (Malawi) for a long time. Thanks for letting me in the tank.

I do have a question. My son recently acquired this guy and we have no idea what he is. Looks South American, but beyond that I don't have a clue.

Does anybody know this species?

Thanks!

View attachment 1340753
That looks like a Nicaraguan cichlid to me.

Definitely south or central american.

Cool fish! How big is he?

Reactions: tlindsey

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
The side markings look Sorta like Vieja tuyrensis

But the angle of the picture makes it kinda look like a Humphead

desertrefugee

Feeder Fish
Oct 21, 2018
Wow! That was fast. I think I'll need to wait until tomorrow for a better shot. It's dark now and lighting won't be conducive to a very flattering shot.

Oh, and he's a big fellow. Probably nine inches mouth to tail. Doesn't play nice with Africans and so is lounging in a 65g all alone for now.

desertrefugee

Feeder Fish
Oct 21, 2018
I actually was able to get a decent head shot. Hopefully, this will help narrow him down. We've scoured the internet resources, but I have not been able to conclusively identify him. I am not very knowledgeable on the American species beyond the common Jack Dempseys, Convicts, Oscars and Pacus, etc. He's different.

Thanks again for the help (and welcome).IMG_0370.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store