New here

Koorius_G

Feeder Fish
Jul 4, 2022
Hi there new here just want to say hi ? I am hoping to meet other people that can help me with my alligator snapping turtle. One was given to my dad and we don’t know how old but it’s about a foot long not small and he has no idea how to take care of one. Can anyone help with how to take care of an alligator snapping turtle?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi there new here just want to say hi ? I am hoping to meet other people that can help me with my alligator snapping turtle. One was given to my dad and we don’t know how old but it’s about a foot long not small and he has no idea how to take care of one. Can anyone help with how to take care of an alligator snapping turtle?
Welcome aboard
Hope the link below helps until members chime in with their experience with the Alligator Snapping Turtle.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/alligator-snapping-turtle.664955/

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
Maybe headbanger_jib headbanger_jib knows some stuff about them.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Thanks everyone! Because my AST is about a foot in size how old would that make it? I’ll try to attach a pic

View attachment 1498699

View attachment 1498700
Notoriously difficult to age. It's a function of habitat, metabolism, gender, diet among other things. There may be a way to tell from the growth of the scutes and the carapace but I don't know it if there is.

At 12" carapace length yours is just now reaching "adulthood" for an AST, but still very young, maybe 20-30 years.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Welcome.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com