New Inhabitants

flat_tire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2020
125 gallon tank set up and set up with cycled filters. Went with the family and everybody got to pick a fish out and name it. Ended up with 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 Jack Dempsey, 1 Electric Blue Jack, 1 Green Terror, 1 Gold Firemouth, 1 Blue Acara, & 1 Electric Blue Acara.

All fish are roughly 1.5 inches long except for the Electric Blue Acara is about 2" and the EBJD is only ~1".

Personally I think the electric blue acara is not a good looking specimen. They were heavily discounted because they ugly but one of the kids wanted one, so what the hell. Maybe his colors will change as it grows. Also, we were going to get a yellow firemouth but they had gold ones in a different tank and said they would get even more yellow and look better.

Also, fish are hard to photograph. Always move just as the camera clicks.

Blue Acara.jpg

EBJD 2.jpg

EBJD.jpg

Electric Blue Acara.jpg

Gold Firemouth.jpg

Green Terror.jpg

Jack Dempsey.jpg

Tiger Oscar.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
125 gallon tank set up and set up with cycled filters. Went with the family and everybody got to pick a fish out and name it. Ended up with 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 Jack Dempsey, 1 Electric Blue Jack, 1 Green Terror, 1 Gold Firemouth, 1 Blue Acara, & 1 Electric Blue Acara.

All fish are roughly 1.5 inches long except for the Electric Blue Acara is about 2" and the EBJD is only ~1".

Personally I think the electric blue acara is not a good looking specimen. They were heavily discounted because they ugly but one of the kids wanted one, so what the hell. Maybe his colors will change as it grows. Also, we were going to get a yellow firemouth but they had gold ones in a different tank and said they would get even more yellow and look better.

Also, fish are hard to photograph. Always move just as the camera clicks.

View attachment 1406903

View attachment 1406904

View attachment 1406905

View attachment 1406906

View attachment 1406907

View attachment 1406908

View attachment 1406909

View attachment 1406910
Nice lil assortment of cichlids ya got there. Btw the EBA just looks a Lil beat up atm, he should color up nicely once fully healed. Love the Oscar most of all, great color and pattern on him but don't be surprised that it will slowly change over time as he gets older. But over all great stocking imo.

flat_tire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2020
The LFS is about an hour away, but is definitely pretty good with options. This larger tank thing can be a problem though. I was content with a little 10 gallon tank (for my kids) for years. Set up a 55 gallon african cichlid tank 9 months ago and already added this 125 gallon tank. I can see upgraded this tank as needed or even adding a 200+ gallon tank next to it. Bigger tanks mean more options for stocking!

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
The LFS is about an hour away, but is definitely pretty good with options. This larger tank thing can be a problem though. I was content with a little 10 gallon tank (for my kids) for years. Set up a 55 gallon african cichlid tank 9 months ago and already added this 125 gallon tank. I can see upgraded this tank as needed or even adding a 200+ gallon tank next to it. Bigger tanks mean more options for stocking!
O yeah, I know I wouldn't mind a tank that big. Biggest I've got so far as 2, 80 gallons.

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Nice fish. Watch out for pseudo-piscis neurosis. It can lead to many trips to LFS, purchases from online vendors, long hours spent watching various fish videos online, and most of all MTS (multiple tank syndrome) which is a serious secondary comorbid complication. It is a continual itch you can never really scratch :screwy:

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Nice fish. Watch out for pseudo-piscis neurosis. It can lead to many trips to LFS, purchases from online vendors, long hours spent watching various fish videos online, and most of all MTS (multiple tank syndrome) which is a serious secondary comorbid complication. It is a continual itch you can never really scratch :screwy:
Lol would you diagnosis me with that since I have about a dozen tanks?

Reactions: dr exum

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Is nobody else going to point out that there will probably be some compatibility issues with the stock? Have 3 andinoacara types that can pair up and cause havoc especially if the GT is involved. The Jacks can also.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Loving the EBJD! Best fish i kept to date in both looks and personality. I've seen some really fast growth out of mine. You just need to get it past the 3" danger mark where many seem to die before reaching that size.

20200129_195207.jpg

I've also kept EBA and equally loved them. Very hardy fish and not as mean as its pure Acara relative.

20190516_200730.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store