New Inhabitants

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Thought I'd let you know that your post, which got my reply, inspired me to pick up 2 very small EBAs to go with my EBJD. 24 hours in and all is going well ... although I'm accepting that it is an experiment!

flat_tire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2020
Great looking examples of the EBA! I am sure we will grow to love our derpy one even if he doesn't look as good as those. :)

Love the fin profile on the EBJD too. Looks like an arrowhead!

Reactions: Bluesandtwo

flat_tire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2020
Is nobody else going to point out that there will probably be some compatibility issues with the stock? Have 3 andinoacara types that can pair up and cause havoc especially if the GT is involved. The Jacks can also.
Zanzag called it, but so far no major issues. The Green Terror and the Blue Acara did pair off and laid some eggs. While they certainly ramped up the defense, they have not become overly aggressive yet. Just protecting their little spot and eggs. They have actually moved the eggs once so far that I have noticed.

My expectations are they will eventually all be eaten, but my kids are hopeful. Hard to get a good pic but we can definitely see them wiggling with their little tails.

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

flat_tire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2020
Little update:

- Baby fish are 99% gone; they hatched and started swimming around the tank. A few were brave enough to cover about half the 6' tank. They were quickly devoured by the other fish.
- All aggression is back to normal / minimal

The only fish to actually get some injuries was my oscar and that was because he wouldn't back down to the green terror. All other inhabitants moved quickly out of the way. While those injuries were relatively minor, the increased stress on all the fish, the increased risk of a minor injuring becoming infected, and the fact that this could happen monthly has lead to decision to make some changes. I will be setting up another tank and splitting the pair up.

Definitely learned a few things and was very interesting to watch it unfold, but not something i want to repeat regularly.

IMG_0228.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store