New-ish to shrimp keeping. Is this planaria?

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
20220110_140114.jpg20220110_140059.jpg

Noticed these guys pop up in my tank. I had 3 shrimp but 1 died. I'm order more, but I was wondering if these are planaria that killed my other shrimp. I don't see a pointed head on them except for when they extend themselves. Can't tell if they're planaria or not.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They do look like planaria. I’m not sure if they kill shrimp or not.

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
They do look like planaria. I’m not sure if they kill shrimp or not.
I've been hearing people say that they do. Guess I'll need something to kill them then. Any suggestions for shrimp friendly planaria killing methods.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Do they have a triangle shaped head? If not, not planaria. Net or siphon a couple into a container and use a magnifying glass to check.

Could be rhabdocoela flatworm?

Don't get too freaked out if they are planaria and you have shrimp as they usually only go after dying shrimp. It's still a good idea to manually remove them if you can through substrate vacuuming, netting them.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I don’t see a triangular head. If you touch it and it contracts into a dot, then it is planarian, otherwise it’s something else.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I've been hearing people say that they do. Guess I'll need something to kill them then. Any suggestions for shrimp friendly planaria killing methods.
Same I’ve heard it from my father, not sure if it’s true. My father used to keep shrimp, and his shrimp tank had planaria. He always used a small pair of tweezers to remove them.
Not sure if they are actually harmful to shrimps though, now that I’m more experienced. My father said they were, idk

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Same I’ve heard it from my father, not sure if it’s true. My father used to keep shrimp, and his shrimp tank had planaria. He always used a small pair of tweezers to remove them.
Not sure if they are actually harmful to shrimps though, now that I’m more experienced. My father said they were, idk
I've been hearing how they eat baby shrimp and if hungry enough, will even go after adult shrimp.

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I don’t see a triangular head. If you touch it and it contracts into a dot, then it is planarian, otherwise it’s something else.
I p
20220110_140059.jpglooks kinda of triangular here. I touched them and I can't tell if it went into a dot or if it just tried to get away from the tweezers.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Try not to break them into pieces IF they are planaria as they will regenerate into additional planaria. Use a pipette or eye dropper to catch one for ID.

You can buy planaria traps or just stop overfeeding the tank and they will eventually go away.

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Try not to break them into pieces IF they are planaria as they will regenerate into additional planaria. Use a pipette or eye dropper to catch one for ID.

You can buy planaria traps or just stop overfeeding the tank and they will eventually go away.
Haven't fed the tank in a few weeks now. Shrimp only, just feeding off of algae and biofilm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store