New jack Dempsey and green Texas?

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Too small to sex at the moment.
But beware you have an ticking time bomb going on with that tank.
Red devil, Texas, jd. And others. They are fine now but they start getting nasty at the 5" Mark and that would not take very long.
By what I remember it's a 55 gallon and that is not much.
Could you list the complete stock of the tank?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Carpintis/green Texas. Too young to tell.
Jd male, should grow up nicely.
I agree is a recipe for murder in less than 180 at least.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Awright22899

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2020
Too small to sex at the moment.
But beware you have an ticking time bomb going on with that tank.
Red devil, Texas, jd. And others. They are fine now but they start getting nasty at the 5" Mark and that would not take very long.
By what I remember it's a 55 gallon and that is not much.
Could you list the complete stock of the tank?
I have a 40 gal breeder I will turn into a community tank (tetras, rams, etc) My father has a empty 125 gallon that I will be transferring fish depending on how they do in the grow out once one is overly aggressive or getting attacked I will move them out.(probably the RD) I would like to keep the JD, pictus catfish, and the Texas in the 55. For as long as possible. Then transfer one to the 125. Is that a good idea?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Texas gets pretty big and would prefer a wider tank eventually. JD can live in the 55 for life.

Awright22899

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2020
Texas gets pretty big and would prefer a wider tank eventually. JD can live in the 55 for life.
How long do you think I can keep the JD and Texas together for. I’ve had plenty of Jds before and they always hold their own and are never usually the aggressor. Just wait for someone to mess with them and go off lol.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
At least until they are 4-6 inches probably. That’s when the aggression really kicks in.

Reactions: ..puSkar..

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
I have a 40 gal breeder I will turn into a community tank (tetras, rams, etc) My father has a empty 125 gallon that I will be transferring fish depending on how they do in the grow out once one is overly aggressive or getting attacked I will move them out.(probably the RD) I would like to keep the JD, pictus catfish, and the Texas in the 55. For as long as possible. Then transfer one to the 125. Is that a good idea?
At least until they are 4-6 inches probably. That’s when the aggression really kicks in.
Very true. JDs may be sought off as maybe a community ish cichlid but that won't happen in a 55 ( atleast in my opinion) . Texas are too mean they're better off solo (75g min) or in pairs (125g min)

Reactions: Deadeye

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I do not consider a 55 large enough for either an adult JD or Herichthys carpintus or cyanoguttatus alone, much less both in the same tank.
I have snorkeled with JDs in nature and seen alpha males hit over 10", so to me, even a 75 is too small for that size in combination with other cichlids. The videos below show the kind of space they live in, in nature.
In the first video they are the dominant species
Eden2
027 zps4b102ffd
and in the 2nd video, notice how torn up the JDs are in thousands of gallons, when combined with other cichlids.

Last edited:

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
It's hard to say how long you could keep the Jack and Texas in the 55. I have seen some that were more mellow until larger size, and others that were already alpha-male aggressive at 3 inches. And, having two cichlids is generally a bad number, whichever is dominant has nothing to distract it from the other, and the sub-dominant fish has a tough time of it or gets killed. You may be actually better off if you had another similar sized cichlid in there. But either way I would say once the texas hits 5-6" the 55 will be too small for it to share with other cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store