New Kamfa Flowerhorn not eating, scared..

Meeji90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Hi everyone, I am new to keeping FH so would appreciate any advice, or whether I am worrying for no reason.

I have a 75g tank which previously housed some rainbows and gourami and some rasbora. However I visited an aquarium a few months back and fell in love with the FH there so decided to change my stocking and get a FH instead. Done my research and what not and eventually got this guy.

I have this Kamfa imported from Thailand direct from a breeder via a reputable third party.

I planned on rehoming the fish I had the day before his arrival and then doing large water change, removing plants and decorations and rinsing the filter stuff in tank water etc however he arrived a day earlier so I was a little unprepared so I had to acclimatise him with the other fish in there. To be fair, he seemed to settle quickly, as I woke up the next day to one Rasbora left so he had obviously ate them (there was 6) and was pretty active around the tank. A mistake I know but I had nowhere else to temporary house him so I had no other option. He would chase the Rainbows and Gourami but they were too quick for him and always escaped.On the next morning I woke up I done another large water change, and then eventually rehomed the rainbows and gourami and the remaining rasbora. All plants and tank decor etc is now gone and it is only the substrate in the tank with him. I also temporarily threw in a sponge filter for additional filtration aswell as the canister.

Tank temp is 28 celcius, pH 7.2. Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 10ppm. I've been doing daily water changes too.

So this is where I have started to worry. Ever since the removal of the other fish on day 2 he has been acting timid and shy. He sometimes comes to greet me when i approach the tank, sometimes just tries to hide in the corners. Sometimes he gets scared too. The next day I tried feeding him , and he just wasn't interested at all. I tried frozen bloodworm, fluval bug bites, and vitality pellets. He would just sort of inspect them, then swim away. So he hasn't ate since he demolished the rasbora and it has been 2 days. He does sometimes pick at the substrate. He seems fairly active and hasn't lost any colour at all. I haven't seen him poop at all either though, and he doesn't look bloated to me. I have hikari pellets coming, however since they are being shipped from another continent they probably won't be here until midweek.

So despite doing ALOT of research, I am still worried about this behaviour. Am I worrying for nothing or is there more to this? Any advice and tips appreciated.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks ok. Might be due to the tank change (removal of decor etc). Would reduce the daily water changes. Try once a week. Just let it settle. The less we do to a tank is sometimes better. Might be the answer in this case.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with kno4te kno4te you removed decor and tankmates and it felt secure. Give time interact with the FlowerHorn.

Reactions: Jexnell and kno4te

Meeji90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Okay thanks guys I'll do that. I am being interactive with him when he is out. He does seem a little less shy and timid today. With regards to feeding, should I keep trying?

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Cute little fish you got there.

Now in the wild cichlids use the activity of other fish as an alarm system of sorts. We call these fish dithers.
When you first added the FH it had the fish in there with it and all the plants and such. It gave the FH a safe and secure felling, so much so it hunted down food to eat. Then you removed a lot of what made it feel secure. So it's going to be a bit shy and timid till It builds it's confidence up. I would leave some rocks what have you in the tank where it can hide. Then it can come out when it feels safe to.

I would also keep an eye on the water parameters. The beneficial bacteria grows on every thing in the tank. Removing a lot of decor could cause the tank to go thru a mini cycle.

Keep trying to feed it. Give a couple pellets, give it ten minutes or so, remove food if not eaten.

Reactions: tlindsey

Zak Hoov

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2017
He will be fine. Keep the tank lights off and don't try to force feed him. Toss 5-6 pellets in every day, and walk away. Come back 15 - 20 min later, if he hasn't eaten them, fish'em out and try again the next day.

Reactions: tlindsey

Meeji90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Cute little fish you got there.

Now in the wild cichlids use the activity of other fish as an alarm system of sorts. We call these fish dithers.
When you first added the FH it had the fish in there with it and all the plants and such. It gave the FH a safe and secure felling, so much so it hunted down food to eat. Then you removed a lot of what made it feel secure. So it's going to be a bit shy and timid till It builds it's confidence up. I would leave some rocks what have you in the tank where it can hide. Then it can come out when it feels safe to.

I would also keep an eye on the water parameters. The beneficial bacteria grows on every thing in the tank. Removing a lot of decor could cause the tank to go thru a mini cycle.

Keep trying to feed it. Give a couple pellets, give it ten minutes or so, remove food if not eaten.
Thanks. Water parameters have been fine hand have tested daily since the removal of the other decor etc.

I tried a little bit of prawns last night, he inspected and again wasn't interested. This morning I dropped a pellet in. Which he then took in his mouth then spat out. Small progress it seems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store