New Life Spectrum ingredients change?

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
I read that NLS used to contain "whole antarctic krill meal" and "whole herring meal".
Now it is just "whole antarctic krill" or "whole fish" like Omega One words it.

Why did they change the wording?
Therefore, did they change from dry weight to wet weight in the formula?

Conclusively, there would be more "wheat flour" by weight than "whole krill/whole fish"?
I think it would be sort of sneaky/shady to do this...

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The term "wet weight" when used to describe the vast majority of fish food is a misnomer. New Life uses only dry products when formulating their various formulas, there is no "wet weight" involved. That term originated with dog/cat food, where raw ingredients such as "fresh chicken" are used. No one is formulating pellets with fresh krill, or fresh fish. Sometimes you need to take what you read online by armchair experts, with a grain of salt. I'm guessing that most have never seen pellets being extruded at a commercial facility.

FYI ..... In the immediate future NLS is rolling out new formulas, and new labels on a number of their products. Squid is being added back to most formulas, and their Antarctic Krill, Squid, and Fish products will be preserved with Naturox, a more costly, but more consumer friendly product. In fact, according to the largest supplier of Antarctic Krill, the cost of their Naturox preserved products cost twice as much as those preserved with Ethoxyquin.

Stay tuned ......

Reactions: BichirMohawk

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I have older nls community pellets that my gt loves like crazy.

I bought new nls pellets and he spits them out all the time. If he is really hungry he will eat like 5 pellets tops

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm not sure what you mean by "older", and "new"? The latest formula change hasn't barely hit the shelves, I'm not even sure that it has been released yet - but I can tell you that every last fish that I currently own pounds the latest formulas back like there's no tomorrow. I suspect that the combination of krill/squid is pretty damn hard for any fish to refuse.

dalto

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2017
I don't exactly remember when it was but when the formulas(and sizes) changed a few years ago I definitely had my pickier eaters stop eating it. One of the reasons I have recently been looking for new foods is that I find it much harder to get new fish switched over to it.

I am glad to hear they are changing their formula again and maybe it will be easier to get new fish on them now. I will try it once I start seeing it on shelves.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
RD. RD. any idea when the new formulas are expected to hit the shelves?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Very soon, but each vendor will have to move out any current stock before they start shipping out the newest formulas.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Hopefully that is quick. If you happen to get any other updates or literature on the new products please share. Really hoping the new pellets are taken much easier than the last :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store