New Lungfish (P. annectens) bacterial infection?

PaleoZoo

Feeder Fish
Jan 12, 2020
I was recommended to monsterfishkeepers for an issue I’m having with my new lungfish.

Problem 1: She has white, whispy stuff on her and it is covering her eyes and it just started this week (around January 7th). New to large, ancient fish so I’m not sure the course of action or what it is.

Problem 2: The tank also is having a hard time adjusting to the new fish and is giving non-zero readings.

Problem (?) 3: She came with a bite (?) mark on her tail. LFS said that is how she came to them (and she had been at the store a really long time, like they were excited that we were the first people to show interest in her-I’m a paleontology PhD student so I nerded-out at the chance of having a living fossil be apart of my family). Just want to make sure it’s healing or if that needs more treatment as well. AF8AC8A8-D747-4DFF-BEB7-00D220B6A1D5.jpeg
A1A76755-4A77-4F17-8507-881549A77845.jpeg
Information:

Cycling: Tank took 2 months to cycle before parameters were perfect. Nitrites were the major issue there. The LFS kept her on hold for me while I cycled (fishless cycle, used some fish flakes for bacteria fodder).

Received from local fish store: December 23, 2019

Fish size: 16ish inches

Tank size: 55 gallon ( yes I know it’s small for a lungfish, we are working on her larger tank)

Parameters: 8.2 pH, .1 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate (aka not great but was worse last week). Chemical tests every other day. 78 degree water from an in-tank heater.

Current treatment: We are doing water changes (smaller amounts daily ~10-30%, larger amounts weekly ~40-50%). Melafix for the bacterial infection (started Jan 10th).

Filtration: We have an external, over the edge of the tank filter rated for the tank size and just added a sponge filter rated for 60 gallons. Once the sponge filter is fully cycled we are replacing the external filter with another sponge so that there is less water turbulence.

Food: carnivore pellet wafers, once in a while algae wafers, frozen carnivore diet (mixture of fish, don’t know the brand as the store gave us a bunch for free), and I offered her a nightcrawler and she said “nope” to that.

Tank decor: bare bottom (I have a lot of reptiles so I opt for the simplest solution if there is a chance of impaction), a couple large plastic plants, a lighted bubbler (it is her favorite thing in the tank, she plays in the bubbles).

My personal aquarium experience: axolotls, small freshwater fish, saltwater invertebrates, turtles, frogs. I will do what it takes to make my animals happy and get the water right so give me all of the advice. I have most experience in
non-aquatic reptiles.

Thank you for any advice you can give me on making my first monster fish happy and healthy!

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d suggest adding another hang on back filter with some established media from a local hobbyist. Add a bag of ammonia chips or equivalent as well. Add some salt 1 tsp per g. Keep nitrates below 20ppm if able. Cont with water changes. The bite mark doesn’t look bad. I’d suggest trying methylene blue. Wouldn’t use the melafix. Is it eating?

PaleoZoo

Feeder Fish
Jan 12, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply!
Do you happen to know what the stringy material is? Bacterial?
Would I need to do anything to the water switching from melafix to methylene blue? Like would there be any chemical reaction if used within the next few days? Why is methylene blue better than melafix?
We just tried feeding her (frozen food with tongs) and she did not want to eat it.
Would another hang filter stress her out though? I’m trying to make her tank more like her natural environment. I have smaller filters would those work or do I need another rated for a 55+ tank?

ImperialSteele

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2020
Was there any update on this? The stringy stuff almost looks like Ich, and should be gone by now, but I could be wrong.

PaleoZoo

Feeder Fish
Jan 12, 2020
The stringy stuff is all gone! Went away after four days of melafix, so it’s coming on a month of no strings. Didn’t get to try methylene blue since the stuff cleared up quickly. She eats better now too. Still has that wound but I think it’s healing. Talked to a vet about it, and if it gets worse I’ll bring her in. I didn’t want to stress her out a bunch right after getting her by taking her in if it looks like it’s in the process of healing. She just got upgraded into her much larger aquarium this week and there’s a mini cycle happening but she doesn’t seem bothered by it and we’re using Prime and water changes to keep it in check. Seems much happier in the new tank as well. (Old pic from her old tank included so you can see her amazing face)

D1560C85-54D9-4C25-A353-796339FD7204.jpeg

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
You don't need a vet to prescribe anything for the bite wound. The tails heal back over time. I had a SAL that went through a bacterial infection, resulting in fin rot. You could see the bones for the dorsal and tail fin, and it was getting worse. After using sulfaplex (sulfa medication), it healed back completely, no more fine fin bones showing.

The stringy stuff reminds of mucus from the lungfish after it gets out of a tank for a "brief walk". It doesn't show up until 24-48 hours later after being put back into the tank.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store