New member from PA

Larry R

Feeder Fish
Jan 24, 2017
Hello all. I have kept tropical fish for most of my adult life (let's just say its over 40!) to include SA cichlids. I currently have a well established 90 gal community tank and will soon get my brother-in-law's used 75 gal. So to keep the wife happy I am going to relocate the 90 gal to a room in the front of the house (no longer wanted in the family room) and plan to put the 75 gal in the basement. The basement is finished but can be cooler so I will be sure to invest in a good heater. That said, I want to use white/tan substrate (pool filter sand) I've never used before, wood and rocks and a few of my live plants from my 90 gal. So here is the question at hand, I am asking for ideas really. I have kept Oscars, JD's, Firemouths, Convicts and other common SA cichlids in the past. So I am looking for ideas on not only species but stockage levels too. I am not sure of the filter situation yet but if its inadequate I will upgrade. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I'm also wondering if it would be better to move my community guys into the 75 and use the 90 for my SA tank????Thank you!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Grass/Red fin pickerels are ok to keep in PA...I live in PA also and keep all kinds of native fish...anymore I stick to darters, sticklebacks, mudminnows and other small interesting fish. The rule is it has to be legally caught and cannot be on the endagered/threatened species list.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Hello all. I have kept tropical fish for most of my adult life (let's just say its over 40!) to include SA cichlids. I currently have a well established 90 gal community tank and will soon get my brother-in-law's used 75 gal. So to keep the wife happy I am going to relocate the 90 gal to a room in the front of the house (no longer wanted in the family room) and plan to put the 75 gal in the basement. The basement is finished but can be cooler so I will be sure to invest in a good heater. That said, I want to use white/tan substrate (pool filter sand) I've never used before, wood and rocks and a few of my live plants from my 90 gal. So here is the question at hand, I am asking for ideas really. I have kept Oscars, JD's, Firemouths, Convicts and other common SA cichlids in the past. So I am looking for ideas on not only species but stockage levels too. I am not sure of the filter situation yet but if its inadequate I will upgrade. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I'm also wondering if it would be better to move my community guys into the 75 and use the 90 for my SA tank????Thank you!
Hello fellow PA-Keeper, welcome to MFK. My mentor worked for PAFBC for a number of years and taught me much. Feel free to ask me any questions and if I can help - I will

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
It would be but I'd have to read up on natives. I live in PA and they are pretty strict from what I hear!
no you can have natives in PA lol just cannot sell them in state. Welcome to the gang of east coast Aholes that inhabit this forum lol, soon the PA guys will rival the NJ guys in numbers.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Larry R

Feeder Fish
Jan 24, 2017
OK so I may be convinced to do natives, what would a typical load look like for a 75 or 90 gal. with sunfish, and other smaller fish? And any good websites to order from by your experience? I fish but have not considered taking what I catch and putting them into a tank!

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Check out Native Fish Keeper on YouTube. I collect all my own native fish. That's the coolest part in my opinion. Mostly use nets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store