Ryu

Feeder Fish
Nov 11, 2017
Hi Everyone! So glad to have stumbled upon this page!!! I have a Japanese Eel ( Yes the kind you eat for sushi!lol) for 14 years now and other than with the help of a friend who is an aquarium enthusiast & a little help here & there from various pet stores (But no one really knew how to handle his type of breed) I have been blessed with having him ( i assume it is a male!lol) for so long. Ironically i got him from a pet store - someone special ordered him but then backed out. He was about 2.5 ft long at the time so not the type of fish for everyone.I fell for its cute little face immed( some say he has a seal face or a dog face- i`ll try to upload pics)and they wanted to get rid of him so they sold him to me for just a little above cost which was like $50/$60. I could find little information online other than recipes! :-0 Obviously i`ve been doing something right since i`ve had him for so long! lol But a lot of it has been trial & error( eg. Ryu likes to sleep on his back or his side - it does not mean that he is dead!lol) & in a lot of ways i still feel like i don`t know a whole lot about him:-( eg. I was told to keep his temp between 20-23C but one time the heater came unplugged & it dipped to 16/17C & he was fine & active! it`s nice to join a group with other large fish keepers as i would like any advice & i would also like to get a friend for him -Currently there is a larger pleco in there as well as 2 feeder goldfish ( that were supposed to be food but i a lil while back that he started to keep the fish around as friends -these ones have been there since the summer!) I at one time was going to buy a large giraffe nosed catfish but the deal fell through- i was so disappointed! Anyone have any suggestions? O the thank is approx 240 gallon - i WOULD like to go bigger too!
Looking forward to talking to other "Monster Fish Keepers!" :D Thanx in Advance!

RYU.jpg

RYU2.jpg

RYU5.jpg

RYU3.jpg

RYU2.jpg

RYU4.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi Everyone! So glad to have stumbled upon this page!!! I have a Japanese Eel ( Yes the kind you eat for sushi!lol) for 14 years now and other than with the help of a friend who is an aquarium enthusiast & a little help here & there from various pet stores (But no one really knew how to handle his type of breed) I have been blessed with having him ( i assume it is a male!lol) for so long. Ironically i got him from a pet store - someone special ordered him but then backed out. He was about 2.5 ft long at the time so not the type of fish for everyone.I fell for its cute little face immed( some say he has a seal face or a dog face- i`ll try to upload pics)and they wanted to get rid of him so they sold him to me for just a little above cost which was like $50/$60. I could find little information online other than recipes! :-0 Obviously i`ve been doing something right since i`ve had him for so long! lol But a lot of it has been trial & error( eg. Ryu likes to sleep on his back or his side - it does not mean that he is dead!lol) & in a lot of ways i still feel like i don`t know a whole lot about him:-( eg. I was told to keep his temp between 20-23C but one time the heater came unplugged & it dipped to 16/17C & he was fine & active! it`s nice to join a group with other large fish keepers as i would like any advice & i would also like to get a friend for him -Currently there is a larger pleco in there as well as 2 feeder goldfish ( that were supposed to be food but i a lil while back that he started to keep the fish around as friends -these ones have been there since the summer!) I at one time was going to buy a large giraffe nosed catfish but the deal fell through- i was so disappointed! Anyone have any suggestions? O the thank is approx 240 gallon - i WOULD like to go bigger too!
Looking forward to talking to other "Monster Fish Keepers!" :D Thanx in Advance!

View attachment 1283784

View attachment 1283785

View attachment 1283787

View attachment 1283789

View attachment 1283790

View attachment 1283791

Welcome aboard:)

Nice Eel !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store