New motorcycle!

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Congrats! My first bike was a Honda 400 as well; went with the "sport" version rather than the "custom" you have. While I like the looks, the higher, pull-back bars and general seating position of the C make a small bike feel even smaller.

And make no mistake; you will feel cramped and underpowered in probably no more than a few weeks. I'm an inch shorter than you, and I always felt like a Great Dane trying to mount a Dachshund when I got on that bike. :)

I think you will find a more "standard" riding position more comfortable, especially for longer rides.

Now, repeat after me: My bike has taken its last ride on a trailer. From now on, anywhere I take it...I will ride it there! :)
Ha. Good recitation. Yeah I am trying to figure out what bike I will upgrade to. What bikes have you ridden that you like?

I don’t mind the seat height on this 400 but could definitely use more leg room. More power will also be nice. It is a good practice bike for learning the basics. Also good for my wife to practice on for the short term as well.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The bikes I found most comfortable were all configured in what we used to call a "standard" set-up; not too far in the custom/stepped-seat/high-bars/highway-pegs direction, but equally as far from the "cafe racer" style where your butt is almost level with your head. :)

I loved my Kawasaki GPz750 (the original, which was much more "standard" than the later crotch-rocket versions). I briefly owned a Honda CB900SS that was probably the best seating position of the bunch, but had it stolen only a few weeks after I got it so didn't really get to know it. And my Yamaha Seca650 was comfortable enough that I took it on a tour from Ontario to BC, camping along the way. No fairing; the bars were just low enough that the wind helped pick me up a bit and made highway speeds very comfortable. Terrific bike, totally trouble-free, smooth, fast enough, comfortable...if it had been red it would have been perfect.

Mind you, once I got there, the original plan...i.e. to see the coast and then ride back to Ontario...got modified a bit. I sold the bike and flew home! :) I was young, dumb and full of...ambition...but I wasn't up to another stint across the prairies on any bike.

Reactions: Poseidon2.0

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Well I have now bought another new bike. A 2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Jackal. It’s a great bike. Fuel injected with only 5000 miles on it. A big up grade from the Honda which my wife plans to ride now once we finish restoring it. I plan on adding some upgrades to make it more comfy on the highway.

041C681E-272C-4D50-A7CF-8A05190E03C3.jpeg

2708835D-466C-4F83-A6AE-79F58E40006A.jpeg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
That is nice! Transverse v-twin? Looks like shaft drive?

Never heard of this bike, but I like it already. Kind of an LTD/custom look but appears to have a fairly standard riding position?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
That is an interesting bike.
The front crash bar is interesting. It looks like it mostly protects the exhaust system but it’s hard to tell anything from photographs.

Back when I had a KZ900 my boss had a Moto Guzzi California. I think it might have actually been 850 cc where the regular models were only 750.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
That is nice! Transverse v-twin? Looks like shaft drive?

Never heard of this bike, but I like it already. Kind of an LTD/custom look but appears to have a fairly standard riding position?
Yup, v-twin engine and a shaft drive! Yeah there is a lot that is customizable on it. Going to add floorboards and just added a windshield. I sit back as far as I can but may raise the adjustable seat at some point. Many bikes ride too low for me.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
That is an interesting bike.
The front crash bar is interesting. It looks like it mostly protects the exhaust system but it’s hard to tell anything from photographs.

Back when I had a KZ900 my boss had a Moto Guzzi California. I think it might have actually been 850 cc where the regular models were only 750.
KZ900 is a nice bike. Yeah the Jackal is actually in the California series but is 1100 instead of the standard 1400 cc’s that many of them have. The LAPD used to ride the California’s back in the 70s apparently. I had never heard of the Jackal until I saw this one come up for sale on FB. I had my sights on a Moto Guzzi Bobber, which is 800cc but I prefer this bigger unit.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Well it’s actually pretty attractive in an Italian way, but personally I can’t deal with wire spoke wheels anymore. I spent too much time polishing spokes.

So are you telling me that MotoG makes a 1400twin? I’ve not been paying attention To the motorcycle biz for a long time. I have no idea.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I love that Guzzi. Beautiful bike.
My first bike was a Motobecane scooter (yes, with pedals). Then a Honda 50cc scooter (no pedals, semiautomatic). Then a Honda CM 250, smaller sister of the 400. Then a CM400, which was totaled (not by me), then an identical replacement, except blue. Skipped some years, then a Honda XL 250 Enduro. It has been 25 years since I have not had another bike, but I want one. Seeing your CM400 makes me go back in time, but I like that Moto Guzzi. Congrats!

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Well it’s actually pretty attractive in an Italian way, but personally I can’t deal with wire spoke wheels anymore. I spent too much time polishing spokes.

So are you telling me that MotoG makes a 1400twin? I’ve not been paying attention To the motorcycle biz for a long time. I have no idea.
Yeah, the Cali 1400 has a V twin like the 1100.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store