New Outdoor Pond, Pennsylvania, Red Ear Slider question.

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
im about to undergo a pond build in my backyard, roughly 6x3 feet, and sort of kidney shaped. I have no plans to heat it, but I was thinking about adding a turtle for my son. I know sliders live around here but what do they do come winter? I’d like to have one, but I wouldn’t want to leave it exposed in an enclosed area if they in fact need some sort of place to hide out from the cold. I was thinking I could easily build an insulated turtle shack for it if it needs it. Any thoughts?

Also if anyone knows a good place to start buying pond equipment, rigid liners in large shapes etc...please let me know. Any equipment recommendations would also be greatly appreciated. I’m in the planning phase of this and veteran pond knowledge would definitely be welcome. I’ve been on MFK since 2007 and this is the first time I noticed the pond section, serendipitous.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Just bring in the turtle in during winter,
And get a fence he can't climb as they'll wander off!

If u want a good liner get NONTOXIC roof liner or you can make a more natural pond with heavy earth/clay.

Tankmates: any sunfish,large goldfish,koi,
Most cichlids(summer only), flier,crappie,walleye etc

They will likely chew on any plants in your pond.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Theyll survive the winter no prob in a mud pond...they dig up under the bank/water line. If ur using a hard shelled pond or liner pond they wont be able to do this and as others have stated id bring them inside for the winter. they dont need much space. $10 kiddie pool will suffice or even a large rubbermaid tote to winter in.

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Ill keep with the research and try to accommodate it. His name will be Raphael if it all works out, TMNT for life. Hopefull he’s rude but cool.

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks too by the way, I think I am going with the hard liner so maybe I can bring him in and get a turtle dock for one of my big tanks. How do they fare with larger cichlids?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks too by the way, I think I am going with the hard liner so maybe I can bring him in and get a turtle dock for one of my big tanks. How do they fare with larger cichlids?
They generally do ok as long as cichlids can move out of the way, make sure turtle gets enough food as cichlids often steal some food from turtles mouth.

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
For as nasty as my big tank can get, they are sort of over any serious jockeying for position. It’s been the same fish since they were very small and I think the hierarchy is pretty set. I’m sure the turtle has no real interest in getting involved so it’s good to hear you think it should be okay too. I will try to make sure he eats, it’s already like the water is boiling when I throw food in, and I don’t think the turtle can hang with those pigs. Might have to grab one of those gizmos that serve individual tank members. Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store