New P Bass acting weird

Mitchhhh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2018
6E9623AC-0A36-4F1B-89ED-577A8933AFD1.jpeg Hey guys new to the forum and p bass so go easy lol, I got 2 3-4” mono sent to me 2 weeks ago. It is the middle of winter here in Aus so they arrived in fairly cold water (heat packs helped but not much) I acclimated them straight away to 30c and got them in the tank. The next day I went to see if they would take food but would stay hidden and they still do that after 2.5 weeks, I have to sit or lay still for a few mins before they come out lol and any movement they dash... how long till they get used to me? Tank is in my bedroom and I’m around them a lot. But I noticed while feeding and then watching them after they yawn fairly often maybe 3-4 times every 10-15mins, have also seen some flashing against wood but not as much. I immediately thought Ich but I haven’t seen any signs at all, maybe gill flukes? What do you guys think I have kept fish for 5+ years always had Oscars so decided to try something new but can’t figure this out? They are in a 100g grow out and will only eat frozen bloodworms I have tried everything under the sun, Are bloodworms twice a day enough for these guys? They look a slight bit skinnier since I’ve had them
Parameters are:
Ph 7.5
Ammonia 0-0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 AAC53FF3-D4AE-4AA6-93A7-839A19C287AB.jpeg

Reactions: Matteus and Tony A.

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Do you have any dither fish? If not add some silver dollars, Oscar or any other fish that are not easily scared these two types are my go to fish for dithers. They will teach the bass to not be scared you are the food source and readily come to the top of the tank when you walk into the room. Tank temp seems good if your at 30c (86f) I usually keep my grow outs a little higher 31/32c (88/90f) more aggressive feedings and no need to worry about ich baby bass seem to be very susceptible to it also add salt to your aquarium. Ammonia should always read 0. Peacock bass yawn it’s absolutely normal. All peacock bass are different I have had some juvenile’s that were never afraid and some that were scared of there own shadow but it always went away once they put on some size or with dithers.

Reactions: Matteus and Tony A.

Mitchhhh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2018
No dither fish, would prefer to stay away from Oscars and I’ve got a lot of live plants with silver dollars eat them? If so what else could I get? I added salt last week at 1g per litre & did 2 25% water change every 3 days but have stopped that now. Should I be adding some regularly if so how much? Will also raise to 32c, I know fish yawn but they rapidly open and close their mouth after yawning which doesn’t seem like a normal yawn. What do you think could cause some ammonia? I do 25% weekly making sure no food is left over after feedings, have 2 big canister filters and thin layer of sand so I’m stumped. Also what would you recommend for feeding, I can only seem to get them to eat bloodworms and I don’t know if I wanna risk starving to get onto new food they look they could use more protein..
Thanks for the help

Reactions: Matteus

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
I would put in 2 small Oscars a little smaller than the pbass.
Os. are great teachers for shy fish and will teach the bass to eat anything you feed them
Small silver dollars are always moving and are out in the open. And can out run the Oscars and bass. But that's me. But it works . good luck

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
PS. Pbass can out run and meneuver any Oscar. so don't be afraid of any agresion from the oscars.

Mitchhhh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2018
Definitely not afraid of any fish hurting p bass haha other way round more like it. I’ve been thinking about 6 7cm giant danios? I can’t get Oscars again I’ve had them all my life and are just boring to me now and arowana are illegal in Aus. Has anyone had any luck with the g danio? I still don’t think my bass are 100% healthy they seem like they have a parasite of some sort cause I can definitely tell the kind of yawns they are doing are not normal, should I get a video to show?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I would put in 2 small Oscars a little smaller than the pbass.
Os. are great teachers for shy fish and will teach the bass to eat anything you feed them
Small silver dollars are always moving and are out in the open. And can out run the Oscars and bass. But that's me. But it works . good luck
Tony A. Tony A. would this be true for an Oscar @8” and bass @ 4-5” or is that still too risky? I want to put them together but don’t want to lose any more of the chichlas I have.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Definitely not afraid of any fish hurting p bass haha other way round more like it. I’ve been thinking about 6 7cm giant danios? I can’t get Oscars again I’ve had them all my life and are just boring to me now and arowana are illegal in Aus. Has anyone had any luck with the g danio? I still don’t think my bass are 100% healthy they seem like they have a parasite of some sort cause I can definitely tell the kind of yawns they are doing are not normal, should I get a video to show?
M Mitchhhh do you guys have seachem paragaurd. I find it works really well for general quarantines.

Reactions: Mitchhhh

Mitchhhh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2018
Sorry thought you said silver arowanna, I love silver dollars but will they eat all my Anubias?

Mitchhhh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2018
Matteus Matteus We have every seachem product except that haha, I ordered blue planet multi cure? Haven’t used it yet tho till I get some more opinions. Do all your guys peacocks do a jolting action after yawning, Like open and close mouth really fast right a couple of times after yawn? Tried to upload vid but file too big apparently.. They both do this once or twice every 5-10mins

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store