New petco flowerhorn.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
The bloodworms I beleive just dont digest well.. flowerhorns are so hybridized they have poor digestion... then you get short bodies and bonsai and it's a whole new story... my 2 flowerhorns were a "medium" body and a short body... I never fed them bloodworms much... but it doesnt take much... and what benefit do bloodworms give your flowerhorn... also I have tried over and over again to get my JD off of bloodworms... going as long as 2 months without feeding... will not take pellets... I'm assuming she wont have a very long life not getting any nutrients other than the little bit the bloodworms give her... I've tried everything
That's a big issue if fish stops eating everything else. You can try to get him eating pellets soaked in blood worm juice. Blood worms are high in protein but don't have have all required amino acids and minerals, not so good nutrition wise but okay to be fed occasionally.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
That's a big issue if fish stops eating everything else. You can try to get him eating pellets soaked in blood worm juice. Blood worms are high in protein but don't have have all required amino acids and minerals, not so good nutrition wise but okay to be fed occasionally.
Agreed... and I've tried... she just wont take anything else.. shell mouth a pellet and spit it out if I'm lucky lol

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
The bloodworms I beleive just dont digest well.. flowerhorns are so hybridized they have poor digestion... then you get short bodies and bonsai and it's a whole new story... my 2 flowerhorns were a "medium" body and a short body... I never fed them bloodworms much... but it doesnt take much... and what benefit do bloodworms give your flowerhorn... also I have tried over and over again to get my JD off of bloodworms... going as long as 2 months without feeding... will not take pellets... I'm assuming she wont have a very long life not getting any nutrients other than the little bit the bloodworms give her... I've tried everything
Wow i had a jd that was just like that. Wouldn't eat dry food no matter what. He eventually succumbed to his own appetite and choked on a syno cat. Wasnt quite the stunner your jack is if its the one im thinking of.

I think the bloodworms may have an intrinsic effect on the fishes metabolism and hormones and therefore its well being and growth. While i do agree that a pellet contains all of the nutrients a fish may need to live, there should be at least some food in its diet that bears a semblance to something it might taste or eat in the wild. To sum up, I think the bloody nature of the food simply excites the fish. You can see how pretty much all fish will perk up when bloodworms hit the water.

But i have nothing scientific or proven to back all my theories out. Im no fish nutritionist, i just try to keep my fish happy and healthy.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Wow i had a jd that was just like that. Wouldn't eat dry food no matter what. He eventually succumbed to his own appetite and choked on a syno cat. Wasnt quite the stunner your jack is if its the one im thinking of.

I think the bloodworms may have an intrinsic effect on the fishes metabolism and hormones and therefore its well being and growth. While i do agree that a pellet contains all of the nutrients a fish may need to live, there should be at least some food in its diet that bears a semblance to something it might taste or eat in the wild. To sum up, I think the bloody nature of the food simply excites the fish. You can see how pretty much all fish will perk up when bloodworms hit the water.

But i have nothing scientific or proven to back all my theories out. Im no fish nutritionist, i just try to keep my fish happy and healthy.
I'd say your probably right... actually why wouldnt that be right... and I agree it is nice to give them something that bring out their true nature... why I was breeding mollies was for that same reason... I guess a little bloodworms dont hurt.. I've just had bad experiences myself so I stay away ?‍♂

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA

I think if you want to feed something that feels more natural to fish, frozen mysis shrimp and krill are better options that bloodworms. I do think bloodworms once a week is non issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store