New Poly addict...

B1GC0UNTRY

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2020
New “actual” MFK member. Been a lurker for a few years as I started getting hooked on fish keeping. Really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this forum.
Have been slowly upgrading tanks, going through the typical phases with live bearers, angels, then Oscars...I think I found my true favorite in bichirs. I have a 125 with two small Oscars, 5 spotted SD’s, my old grumpy albino BN and my ~6” Endli

Now I’m fully addicted to them and just picked these guys up today! Ornate ~3.5” and Delhizi ~2.5” still has small external gills. They’re in QT/grow out in a 20L.
Looking for some help/answers. My 20L has been up and running for a year or so, good water parameters and fully established. It’s been a RC shrimp factory with zero effort of my own (almost annoying now). No matter how many I give away/throw in the live bearer tank, more pop out of the sponge filter. Do you think this will be an issue for the new guys? I’m not worried about quality with the RCS, they’ve been in there since the tank was set up. I plan to try to pellet train these guys. Any issues from experienced poly keepers? I QT’d the Endli in the same tank for about 5 weeks. Still took small pieces of tilapia/crushed carnivore pellets. I know they’ll occasionally catch a RCS slipping. Any problems I should look out for?
thanks - Bobby

0F6456B2-AC95-4145-A2FE-AFEDB38411AD.jpegAA3DA7ED-F7A2-49C6-A6E1-C59A97FE0CAD.jpegC6946F3B-125C-45D3-A006-71E53444A03E.jpeg1CAFDDBF-232F-4B27-B7ED-93A28C754FFF.jpeg

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
Another addict!unnamed.gif
That said the endli will get big and get big quick, ornates are said to be the most aggressive (toward other polys anyways) i can't say from personal experience (just what I've read on here)+ each fish is different; anyway be ready to get a bigger tank(due to endli and ornate size) but yea welcome to the dark side of the hobby and they are beautiful specimens you have there

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
tank deco / looks nice! / fits with the floor!

are these on sale right now at petsmart?

B1GC0UNTRY

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2020
Another addict!View attachment 1424355
That said the endli will get big and get big quick, ornates are said to be the most aggressive (toward other polys anyways) i can't say from personal experience (just what I've read on here)+ each fish is different; anyway be ready to get a bigger tank(due to endli and ornate size) but yea welcome to the dark side of the hobby and they are beautiful specimens you have there
Yeah that’s pretty much in line with what I have read here and in other dark corners of the internet. I will definitely keep an eye out for any aggression. Hoping growing them out from babies together smooths out any issues. As far as bigger goes, I will be upgrading with our next move. The old lady said she’s tired of my multiple tanks (rookie numbers here). She already approved one “big as I want” tank build at a new house and lose the rest She’s a keeper.

tank deco / looks nice! / fits with the floor!

are these on sale right now at petsmart?
thank you! Not that I know of. Craigslist score for me. Tank/stand/lights/ brand new FX6 for $500

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard

I have personally raised all three about the same size a few years ago. I agree with beau1990 beau1990 about Ornates had two 17" females that were a bit territorial. make sure the Delhezi is keeping up with the growth of the Endlicheri and Ornate. Pellet training is not difficult just make sure pellet is very small for them to swallow easily.

B1GC0UNTRY

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2020
Just be cautious as young endlis can canabilize other smaller polys. If they are in the same tank.
good to know. I planned on getting some size to these two before adding them to the 125 with the Endli. Is there a size goal I should go for before the intro to the Endli?

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store