New Polypterus

SLS_23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi, I would like to buy a new Polypterus endlicheri about 5 cm in size. I've had them once before, but unfortunately they died in a short time for an unknown reason. I'd like to find out a few things about them before I buy them again. What is the best way to feed them? What to avoid and what fish to keep them with? Is it possible to breed them with small cihlids from the beginning? So they don't bite their gills. How fast do they grow and at what size do their gills disappear? And most importantly, how to avoid further deaths? Is it possible that they were killed by a Blood red jewel cichlid bitten by their gills? The aquarium will have a new 90x50x50cm 225l. And I would have 10x EBJD (3-4cm) with them. Is it possible to have them like this? Won't the EBJD hurt them?

Reactions: Krismo962

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
90cm length won’t do for an endlicheri, maybe a Senegal or delhezi.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I suggest not keeping Ornate that small with anything that will harass or outcompete the Bichir for food. Also EBJD will be territorial so personally wouldn't put them with the EBJD.

gaisller

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2021
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hi, I would like to buy a new Polypterus endlicheri about 5 cm in size. I've had them once before, but unfortunately they died in a short time for an unknown reason. I'd like to find out a few things about them before I buy them again. What is the best way to feed them? What to avoid and what fish to keep them with? Is it possible to breed them with small cihlids from the beginning? So they don't bite their gills. How fast do they grow and at what size do their gills disappear? And most importantly, how to avoid further deaths? Is it possible that they were killed by a Blood red jewel cichlid bitten by their gills? The aquarium will have a new 90x50x50cm 225l. And I would have 10x EBJD (3-4cm) with them. Is it possible to have them like this? Won't the EBJD hurt them?
I've had a jewel that killed 2 of my catfishs that was twice its size... Maybe this little demon coud be the cause.

Never had endlicheris, but my delhezi lost it's gills when it reachs 10-12cm.

Bichirs eats pretty much anything, so feeding wouldn't be a problem.

Tank is too small for this species imo, once they could easily overgrow 50cm.

Reactions: Caveden
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store