New pond scheme

MrDuckBootz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Parkland Fl
I’m going to be constructing a pond soon thru aquascape most likely, still looking at different builds. Basically what I’m asking is would 8’ by 11’ be big enough for a school of pb, a couple big cats, an arowana or two, a bowfin, Turtle and some other stuff. If not what’s the size all of u would recommend for my Stock. This will be my first pond in a complete newbie.

Thanks.

Reactions: BichirKing

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
big cats like a wells? those get 6' plus and might eat its roommates. I would firm up your stocking ideas. as far as size id go as big as you can.

MrDuckBootz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Parkland Fl
Big cat like red tail and shovel nose or something similar. I know for sure one would be my plat rtc and a buddy for him not sure what it would be yet

Reactions: BichirKing

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Don't know if you have raccoons there in Florida, but when I dug my first pond they ate a bunch of fish,
I'd find cichlids with their heads eaten off every morning, until I made sides straight and shear, and at least more than 2 ft deep, any sloping sides worked to their advantage.

Reactions: MrDuckBootz

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Id go deeper if you can. I had an 18” deep kiddie pool in my basement for housing koi. And it is so sad feeding fish that can’t even move their body straight up and down to eat.
I’d make the pond *at least* as deep as the longest fish you plan to stock.

I can’t speak to stocking levels with those fish. I’ve never kept them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store