New Rohani Barbs!!

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I decided my 180 gallon needed some more activity.....I have some cool species in there such as a Borneo Python eel, 7" Super Red Severum , 6" Pink Chaleus, 10" Male Chocolate Cichlid and a 9" Birchir weeksi. The eel and Birchir are usually hiding. I took a chance and added three 2.5" Rohani Barbs. They school nicely and I may grab three more. The Chocolate Cichlid has a relatively small mouth and shows no aggression.....The Birchir seems too slow and botton dwelling to catch these guys. Pics are from just after introduction and I cant wait for them to color up. Anyone got pics of full grown Rohani?? Bad pics I know!IMG_0328.jpg barbs1.jpgIMG_0329.jpg barbs2.jpg

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
So far so good......survived the night. No aggression in the tank at all!

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
watch the Poly, he's the one you need to worry about. The cichlids and the eel won't really care about fast moving barbs, but the birchir is a pretty good ambush predator after lights out.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Nice pick up. Very pretty barbs. It seems that finding Dawkinsia Barbs is getting more & more difficult.
My LFS recently special ordered 12 juvenile Dawkinsia Filamentosas for me. Your Rohani's look remarkably similar to my Filamentosas.
20200901_174748.jpg

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I love these larger barbs. I've had filaments in the past. I have 12 mascara barbs now in my 125 by themselves. I cant really nail down what I want to put with them.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I keep Tiger Barbs, a couple of Altus
Tinfoils & YoYos with my Filamentosas. They all look good together.
I'm thinking about adding Denison Barbs at some point.
I really don't understand why Dawkinsia Barbs aren't more popular.

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If you start researching these mid sized barbs you'll come up against a plethora of fish that aren't that dissimilar in appearance. It can get very confusing very quickly. Filaments, mascara, rohani, mahecola, dawkinsia are just a few names of the fish, some of which are the same fish! Thankfully their latin names seperate them out.

But all of them share one common trait, they're stunning. I had half a dozen filaments in my planted 180 but when they got to about 3" they started on my plants. They're now in my 360 with the big boys. That gorgeous irridescent green is really flashing through them now and their filaments are beginning to show. I love them.

I also have 5 beardless barbs, much rarer apparently. They are in my 180 still but unlike the filaments they are not bothering my plants at all yet. One of my beardless barbs below.

20200919_142446.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store