New setup advice for my lil man, pretty please

BobsBitchyBottom

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2021
I met my lovely Channa Fire and Ice May last year and he moved in in June.
He is now in a tank that's (in cm) 80w 35d, 40h.
He needs a bigger one, obviously. My deadline is within 4 months.
I've been told 120x30 would suffice, obviously height isn't a priority other than no lower than my current setup. But Ideally I think he should have 300 liters minimum, probably.
Thing is, I'm in the inner city, and my apartment isn't very big.
If I had the space, I'd get him an infinity x infinity-tank. He's a big good grumpy happy twirly boy and deserves the very best there is.
Alas, I'm trying to find a tank big enough for him without being hazardous for me to get around it.
So, 125x 40 x 50, would he be OK in that?
Given that I continue to meet all his other needs reg plenty of hiding spaces, heavily planted, dance with him when he demands it, etc?

Dixiedog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2022
England
Fire and ice don't grow that big, around 15cm I have read,
A 300 would be good but you don't need to go that large,I keep an andrao in a 120 litre and he looks lost in that,a 300 would be a waste ,imo

Reactions: BobsBitchyBottom

BobsBitchyBottom

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2021
Fire and ice don't grow that big, around 15cm I have read,
A 300 would be good but you don't need to go that large,I keep an andrao in a 120 litre and he looks lost in that,a 300 would be a waste ,imo
Appreciate the advice?
He's wild caught so I want the very best for him.
May I ask what measurements you have on your tank?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I would go atleast 80cm but the bigger the better. Keep in mind that temperature should change over the year from 18-28. Keeping snakeheads at constant temperature is bad for their health.

BobsBitchyBottom

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2021
I would go atleast 80cm but the bigger the better. Keep in mind that temperature should change over the year from 18-28. Keeping snakeheads at constant temperature is bad for their health.
Thank you for the advice!
The one I have now is 80 cm wide, looking for at least 100 cm wide, ideally 130 if I can rebuild some of my book cases☺
Regarding temperature, it does seem the most agreed upon way to do it with Channa.
However, he is a Fire and Ice so he's used to higher temperatures. I've had 26 in summer and am doing 23 now. When it turned 27 last summer he HATED IT so I kept it at 26.
You think this is unhealthy for this specific species aswell? May I ask what/where you've read regarding health concerns if the temperature doesn't follow the parameters you've said? I'm trying to find everything there is in terms of reading about them, and it's a lot of conflicting ideas?
Is it because it messes with their hibernation cycle and higher temperature means metabolism stays high?
I've heard sometimes the fungi common in Channa becomes more prevalent when lowering the temperature?
The way you have yours, does that mean the temperature ranges like that naturally because you don't use a heater?
I hope I don't sound ignorant, he had a bit of a rocky start coming to my country and I'm still learning so have been prioritizing being able to provide stability and consistency before I move onto more advanced things.

Reactions: neko1

Dixiedog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2022
England
Thank you for the advice!
The one I have now is 80 cm wide, looking for at least 100 cm wide, ideally 130 if I can rebuild some of my book cases☺
Regarding temperature, it does seem the most agreed upon way to do it with Channa.
However, he is a Fire and Ice so he's used to higher temperatures. I've had 26 in summer and am doing 23 now. When it turned 27 last summer he HATED IT so I kept it at 26.
You think this is unhealthy for this specific species aswell? May I ask what/where you've read regarding health concerns if the temperature doesn't follow the parameters you've said? I'm trying to find everything there is in terms of reading about them, and it's a lot of conflicting ideas?
Is it because it messes with their hibernation cycle and higher temperature means metabolism stays high?
I've heard sometimes the fungi common in Channa becomes more prevalent when lowering the temperature?
The way you have yours, does that mean the temperature ranges like that naturally because you don't use a heater?
I hope I don't sound ignorant, he had a bit of a rocky start coming to my country and I'm still learning so have been prioritizing being able to provide stability and consistency before I move onto more advanced things.
The way I understand it is that if you keep them at higher temps then they can get an incurable bacterial Infection and being a sub tropical species we are mimicking their natural seasonal temperatures.i have dropped the water line of the tank so I can keep it uncovered with fans blowing across the surface,this works OK and can keep tank temp around 18c,I have also removed the heater

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I kept a lot of snakeheads. In my experience they do better at cooler temperatures like 18-25.
If i put the heater out my tank goes to 18 and the heater can control everything up.
Cooler should actually be better for what i keep, but sadly thats kinda hard since i only have 1 room to live in and keep fish.
I would atleast go 24 to make it really like summer for him when its summer.
How did you notice he doesnt like hot temperatures (27) if i may ask?

BobsBitchyBottom

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2021
The way I understand it is that if you keep them at higher temps then they can get an incurable bacterial Infection and being a sub tropical species we are mimicking their natural seasonal temperatures.i have dropped the water line of the tank so I can keep it uncovered with fans blowing across the surface,this works OK and can keep tank temp around 18c,I have also removed the heater
I hadn't read about they are prone to bacterial infection ilk higher temps, but makes sense of course. Do you know what kind or how it manifests?
I'm going to lower my temp but slooooowly as to not shock him, but just in case he would get an infection, would like to be prepared.
There's a gap for mine to come up of course but trying to mimic seasons with less light and higher water level.
Interesting setup with the open top and the fans! Very inventive???
Does your Channa still come up for air despite it being so dry?
Or do you have an air pump? Which months do you keep it at 18 if you don't mind me asking? And do you use uvc?
I'd like to try this method! Especially since it's harder to keep some floating plants alive if it's lidded.

BobsBitchyBottom

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2021
I kept a lot of snakeheads. In my experience they do better at cooler temperatures like 18-25.
If i put the heater out my tank goes to 18 and the heater can control everything up.
Cooler should actually be better for what i keep, but sadly thats kinda hard since i only have 1 room to live in and keep fish.
I would atleast go 24 to make it really like summer for him when its summer.
How did you notice he doesnt like hot temperatures (27) if i may ask?
Thank youuuu! Just found this post myself.
I hope I didn't come across as doubting your information, again just trying to find as much information from as many sources as possible.
Will start lowering the temp slowly and then disconnect the heater. Any tip on how fast/slow to start acclimation?
Since he's been on 23 since fall, was going to do one degree at a time and check in on him.
Slightly worried he may have caught bacterial infection mentioned above and would not fare well if I lowered temp. But he seems fine so will stay on course with this unless he shows any indication to have the infection.
I really really appreciate the input ?
My house is small too, we can make it work!
How long do your snakeheads live, these smaller ones?
I didn't have the heater connected and on a scorching day it had turned to 27. Nothing else had changed, no stress or anything but he seemed pissed and uncomfortable with the temperature. I put an ice pack on the external filter and it lowered one degree by night. Maybe just cause it went up a bit too fast, and if I'd let it stay there he'd have been fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store