New Setup Finally

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Hi Guys. Finally getting my new 40G set up. Heres a pic of the scape, tank is empty as im not entirely happy with it yet, the rocks on the right could be rearranged a bit and am trying to hide the filter better. Overall not too bad but will tinker with it a bit before i fill it up. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Also still undecided on the fish, possibilities are a pair of rainbow cichlids or convicts with some swordtails, mollies or guppies, does anyone know of some similar sized cichlids preferably C.A. that would work in this sized tank, id like something I can keep as a pair with some dithers ideally.. Im tempted to push it with a solo salvini or something but its probably a bit small. I also want some basic plants, ive got some elodea and will add val and either java fern or anubis. I want the fish biotope correct as possible but im not too stressed about the plants. Once again any suggestions will be welcomed.

IMG_0699.JPG

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Looks great except the crazy filter. I got a baby electric blue acara and he's doing great in a community tank. He hangs out with a pair of Bolivian rams and I'm getting another to put in a 29 for awhile. Amusingly active and great color.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Some Tatias musica would be cool (if I spelt that right) and maybe a top dweller like hatchetfish

Reactions: Ogertron3000

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Cool set up. Fire mouth are great little fish I'd recommend
Looks great except the crazy filter. I got a baby electric blue acara and he's doing great in a community tank. He hangs out with a pair of Bolivian rams and I'm getting another to put in a 29 for awhile. Amusingly active and great color.
Thanks for the suggestions, I have kept both these species before so wanted something different. How many firemouths do you think this tank could hold? Ive always had aggresion/dominance issues with small groups of them. The EBAs were cool, possibly could get some natural ones and a nice school of tetras and cories.
The filter is an issue, not surewhat to do there. I was thinking sticking a few straight sticks covered in moss in front of it to screen it off. I think it destroys the whole look of the tank as it is.

Some Tatias musica would be cool (if I spelt that right) and maybe a top dweller like hatchetfish
They are cool but as im in australia they are probably on the banned list along with most other interesting cats. If they are available I will probably have to sell my car to afford one!

Jewel cichlid, Congo tetras, a river species of Synadonis
This is a good idea, something totally new for me. Maybe some kribs would be a possible substitute for the jewells, I will certainly consider this. I was actually inspired by your "convict paradise" set up when I considered stock to keep in this one. No access to HRP or nanolutus unfortunately in australia but its a nice idea to take a common/taken for granted species and give them a nice home. The only issue with the common convicts would be the aggression against any dithers and getting a good quality pair, here they are mostly multi generation inbred and have been sitting in the overcrowded shop tank forever. At least they are cheap!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Nano community?

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Thanks for the suggestions, I have kept both these species before so wanted something different. How many firemouths do you think this tank could hold? Ive always had aggresion/dominance issues with small groups of them. The EBAs were cool, possibly could get some natural ones and a nice school of tetras and cories.
The filter is an issue, not surewhat to do there. I was thinking sticking a few straight sticks covered in moss in front of it to screen it off. I think it destroys the whole look of the tank as it is.

They are cool but as im in australia they are probably on the banned list along with most other interesting cats. If they are available I will probably have to sell my car to afford one!

This is a good idea, something totally new for me. Maybe some kribs would be a possible substitute for the jewells, I will certainly consider this. I was actually inspired by your "convict paradise" set up when I considered stock to keep in this one. No access to HRP or nanolutus unfortunately in australia but its a nice idea to take a common/taken for granted species and give them a nice home. The only issue with the common convicts would be the aggression against any dithers and getting a good quality pair, here they are mostly multi generation inbred and have been sitting in the overcrowded shop tank forever. At least they are cheap!
A pair of Sajica (if they are available in Australia) would look awesome and probably won’t murder dithers.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Nano community?
My wife would like this but i wanted something a bit more formidable looking. To satisfy everyone the 3 perfect things will be.
Small, colourful and peaceful for my wife (tank is in living room)
Something that breeds and gives parental care as an educational thing for my daughter.
Interesting lookng/behaviour for me.

This is why the cichlid pair and livebearer tank is on my mind.

A pair of Sajica (if they are available in Australia) would look awesome and probably won’t murder dithers.
These do pop up from time to time, I never thought about them to be honest but its a great idea. Something like this or similar is exactly what im looking for.
American cichlids arent too popular here, they normally have small drab looking specimens so they often get overlooked in the LFS so I will have to keep my eyes open. Would be nice to do the ugly duckling thing and watch them transform into something attractive.

Reactions: Jexnell

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Small, colourful and peaceful for my wife (tank is in living room)
Something that breeds and gives parental care as an educational thing for my daughter.
Interesting lookng/behaviour for me.
This sounds like convicts as if I remember correctly they will keep breeding and you’ll have several generations with each generation caring for the younger ones. You’ll have to get rid of the older fry often given it’s only a 40 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store