New Snakehead

NativesMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2017
Any idea why this particular species of channa isn't too popular with hobbyists? Hardly anyone seems to keep them, despite their being fairly common. Mine seems to be fairly similar to the gachuas temperament-wise , and much more striking in terms of appearance.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I would say the fact they can grow up to 90cm (75 being more realistic) and therefore require a big tank while not displaying much color.
That on top of having contenders like Micropeltes, Maruloides and diplogramma in their size range, I can see why they are not too popular.
If they are sub-tropical, it's even worse because they require a special care that the other tropical ones of the same size do not.

Just my opinion as taste is different for most people.

It looks good though! :)

Mazhar26

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
I would say the fact they can grow up to 90cm (75 being more realistic) and therefore require a big tank while not displaying much color.
That on top of having contenders like Micropeltes, Maruloides and diplogramma in their size range, I can see why they are not too popular.
If they are sub-tropical, it's even worse because they require a special care that the other tropical ones of the same size do not.

Just my opinion as taste is different for most people.

It looks good though! :)
I almost everyday see puctata in our local market , hardly ever reach more than 30cm( common size 5-7") , most hardy fish in channa group , tropical so no special requirement , last year in october- November saw a pair with fries , male and female are not more than 5-6" or even smaller, I love their patterns ,

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Again, it comes down to personal preferences.
I, for one, would prefer many channas whatever the range of size.
If indeed 30-40 cm, then i'll go pleuros, Auranti.
If more, I'd go diplo or lucius or maruloides.

Those are in my eyes much more beautiful, or active, or impressive, depending on the species chosen. I am sure some like punctata more than those, taste is something we will never all agree on. :)

NativesMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well punctata aren't really in the same size class as pleuros and aurantis to be honest. Imo 30 cm is a very ambitious size for a punctata - I live right next door to a huge lake that's absolutely teeming with them, and I've yet to see one even close to that size. As Mazhar said, 5-7" is about as big as they normally get, even as spawning adults.

Considering that they're also a tropical species and probably THE hardiest species of Channa around, I find the lack of interest in them a bit strange. I don't think there are many commonly found tropical snakeheads in their size range which can match them for looks and ease of care. But then maybe that's just me.

NativesMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2017
And Madou Madou , I do get your point on differing tastes. It's just that this is my first time keeping this particular species, and as always when keeping any new fish, I try and look for information on the web from people who have already kept it themselves and know what they are talking about. My preference for firsthand information and advice one of the biggest reasons why I browse fishkeeping forums like mfk. And as I discovered, it's surprisingly hard to find such information about this particular species, compared to many other Channa. Very few people seem to keep them, and even fewer seem to like them enough to talk about them in detail. Hell, it's easier to find articles and posts on Channa barca, despite them being some of the rarest and least obtainable snakeheads around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store