New tank smells bad.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
So I just set up my 130g tank. I moved everything from my 90g to the 130g tank.

tank has aquarclear 110 x 2 for filtration.

It took me about 3-4 hours to move everything from one tank to the other. During the move I put all fish in a tote and put one filter on the tote running. The second filter was turned off but kept wet.

Less than 48 hours after moving everything over my tank had a faint bad smell, not earthy like I’m use to but almost “fishy” (and only when I open the lid)

did the lack of water movement in my filter kill too much BB? Is that a possible cause of the smell?

Reactions: Finthusiast

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
So I just set up my 130g tank. I moved everything from my 90g to the 130g tank.

tank has aquarclear 110 x 2 for filtration.

It took me about 3-4 hours to move everything from one tank to the other. During the move I put all fish in a tote and put one filter on the tote running. The second filter was turned off but kept wet.

Less than 48 hours after moving everything over my tank had a faint bad smell, not earthy like I’m use to but almost “fishy” (and only when I open the lid)

did the lack of water movement in my filter kill too much BB? Is that a possible cause of the smell?
While you might lose some BB in 3-4 hr (with the 2nd filter that was wet but not running), I don't think in that length of time you'd lose a tremendous amount of BB, they're hardier than many would suppose.

As to the smell it's probably just natural biological processes going on as the tank is settling in, but I would watch the behavior of fish and check ammonia levels for at least a few days just to be sure there are no related issues.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Not once did I even think that stiring the substrate would cause it. I wasn’t planning to monitor the new tank but I will now! Going to do the tests tonight...I wouldn’t be surprised if something is off due to the substrate.
Thank you!

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Did my tests

between 0.5-1 ppm of ammonia
0 nitrites
And 5 ppm of nitrates

not really digging the ammonia in there...debating if I should just dose prime and check again tomorrow and if still present then do a water change....

edit***never mind my tap is reading 1ppm of ammonia so that means my cycle is working at getting rid of it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Niki - are you still in Edmonton? If so you should not be getting a reading for free ammonia (NH3) out of the tap, total ammonia possibly, but not free ammonia. It may be your test kit, or possibly a false ammonia reading due to using Prime/Safe. I would invest in one of these, far more accurate than using an API test kit when it comes to testing for NH3. https://www.seachem.com/ammonia-alert.php

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Niki - are you still in Edmonton? If so you should not be getting a reading for free ammonia (NH3) out of the tap, total ammonia possibly, but not free ammonia. It may be your test kit, or possibly a false ammonia reading due to using Prime/Safe. I would invest in one of these, far more accurate than using an API test kit when it comes to testing for NH3. https://www.seachem.com/ammonia-alert.php
Yea still in Edmonton!
Yea I’m not sure what the reading would be for but definitely getting readings. I’ll check my test kit for a exp date as it’s been a while since I’ve bought one.

really? Those work well? I have seen them in the past but assumed they were junk and not accurate at all.

If your suggesting them RD then they must be reliable. Definitely pick one up tomorrow.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, one of the most accurate sensors available to hobbysists when testing for free ammonia. The sensor is the same as the ones found in Seachem's Ammonia Multitest Kit. https://www.seachem.com/multitest-ammonia.php
Just follow the instructions. I have been using these sensors for many years when setting up new tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store