New to canisters help your boy out

Drumm22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2020
Just got this fluval for my anniversary. Ive never ever used canisters. Is it easy to use ? Do i put my old media into this? How do i clean it? Is it any good??

E862D9C3-5278-4312-B991-E83DDD8F5129.jpeg

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Congratulations on your 1st canister filter!! Read the instruction manual that came with the filter for how to set it up, adding media, and how to clean the filter.

Yes you should be able to use your old media as long as it fits in the trays/baskets.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Canisters are my fav filters. Youtube some videos about cleaning and taking it apart. Very easy

Reactions: Drumm22

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
So easy to use! Love all my canisters! I used old media in mine to speed the "cycle" up left it running in conjunction with my HOB for a couple weeks as well. After that I slowly removed media from the HOB until the canister was doing all the work.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find canisters "not user friendly" to maintain, so are usually left too long between cleanings, and end up holding gunk which in the can, means in the tank breaking down and degrading water quality. Although they often make tank water "look" good holding all that detritus, looks can be deceiving..
I've used a number of popular brands and never found any I would use again.
One was included in my current tank package, and has been sitting idle, because I find them a pain.
I know many people rave about them, so I thought you deserved another view.

Drumm22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2020
I find canisters "not user friendly" to maintain, so are usually left too long between cleanings, and end up holding gunk which in the can, means in the tank breaking down and degrading water quality. Although they often make tank water "look" good holding all that detritus, looks can be deceiving..
I've used a number of popular brands and never found any I would use again.
One was included in my current tank package, and has been sitting idle, because I find them a pain.
I know many people rave about them, so I thought you deserved another view.
Appreciate it. Kinda upsetting since this one was apparently pretty expensive

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Yes I find canisters overpriced and a PITA to clean out... some people just dont clean them out very often I dont think... to each their own! Try it out and you might love it.... or you may not lol

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
You have a good filter. Whats being said is that like any filter regular maintenance is a necessity for the filter to maintain your aquarium. They are not the easiest to clean, I’m sure this model is similar but my old fx5, which required me to drain the water and remove the top to pull and clean the media. because of this often times individuals ignore the maintenance, resulting in Organics building inside the filter causing poor water quality. Clean it often and you will enjoy the fx4

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
They are great in the hands of the right user on the right setup.

My 206 can go a year to 18 months between cleanings only having a Figure 8 puffer in a 20L to take care of. My FX6 on my pleco tank is going to 3 months and still looks great. I cleaned it yesterday cause it was open by by no means was it a "nitrate factory". Have I had this occur absolutely! I was running a 306 on the same pleco tank and after about 6 month I noticed my nitrates were way way high even after a water change, 20 mins later with some running water problem solved.

The biggest problem is you cant see them! Wet erase marker and some dates when last cleaned go a long way in this area.

WalksWIthGobies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2018
ames,iowa
All of my mechanical filtration is in 4 prefilter sponges attached to the canister inlet which I clean out in removed tank water during water changes.aquarium sponges.jpg My canister has only biological media I pretty much never have to crack it open.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store