New to Cichla.. what have I got?

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I've been keeping Central American cichlids for many years now but have recently felt the urge to try something a bit different. So... I picked up 5x young cichla the other day. They are all around 3.5" so still very small. They are currently growing out in a 40B, with plans to eventually keep a pair in my 220gal.

Any guesses to what species I may have? They seem too be settling in well, currently eating bloodworms and freeze dried shrimp.
20181129_112026.jpg

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Isn't that just another general name for peacock bass? Perhaps I am not sensing your sarcasm...
Most lfs label them that and don’t know that there’s different kinds. Your fish is still young and showing juvenile colors. I would wait until it gets a little larger for a positive Id. Your fish looks like it could be ocell but the colors are still too dull to tell. Generally fish sold without a label turn out to be hybrids of mono/ocell. Feed it some meaty foods and transfer to pellets ASAP for the best growth and colors. You can follow the thread pinned at the top of this forum. Keep the water clean with 50% or more water changes each week to prevent health issues. Welcome to C.r.e.a.m.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Most lfs label them that and don’t know that there’s different kinds. Your fish is still young and showing juvenile colors. I would wait until it gets a little larger for a positive Id. Your fish looks like it could be ocell but the colors are still too dull to tell. Generally fish sold without a label turn out to be hybrids of mono/ocell. Feed it some meaty foods and transfer to pellets ASAP for the best growth and colors. You can follow the thread pinned at the top of this forum. Keep the water clean with 50% or more water changes each week to prevent health issues. Welcome to C.r.e.a.m.
Understood. I fed them some raw fresh shrimp today and 3/5 ate it. I will definitely be working on getting them to eat pellets soon.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Understood. I fed them some raw fresh shrimp today and 3/5 ate it. I will definitely be working on getting them to eat pellets soon.
Well that’s good news. If 3 eat it they will teach the others more often than not. Check out the sticky from gangster about how to get them on pellets, it took me almost 3 months of trial and error, mostly error, before getting my current bass onto pellets.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I've read through the sticky, thanks. They were only being fed feeders less than a week ago when I got them. So, they seem to be progressing quickly considering they took frozen bloodworms on day 1.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Quick update... So the three largest are ravenously eating fresh shrimp, bloodworms, and freeze dried shrimp. The fourth refuses everything but bloodworms and the fifth, the smallest of the 5, has not eaten anything since I got him to my knowledge. He will mouth bloodworms but ends up spitting them out. He has zero interest in the fresh shrimp. Should I just be patient and hope he comes around?

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Quick update... So the three largest are ravenously eating fresh shrimp, bloodworms, and freeze dried shrimp. The fourth refuses everything but bloodworms and the fifth, the smallest of the 5, has not eaten anything since I got him to my knowledge. He will mouth bloodworms but ends up spitting them out. He has zero interest in the fresh shrimp. Should I just be patient and hope he comes around?
Have you tried brine shrimp? When I first got my ocels, that was the only thing they ate outside of live.

Reactions: cjdesmit
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store