New to me 240 up and running

loganh83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
The Lone Star State
Like that stand! of coarse the tank is nice too!
Thanks!

The stand has a square tubing frame with cabinet wood as a veneer. The guy who built it and stained it did excellent work. The only issue was that the doors were a frosted acrylic when it came to me and they stood out against the wood. So I painted the inside black and now it has a cool matte look.

I wanted bare bottom but still wanted some visual appeal so I lightly painted the bottom with 2 cans of textured spray paint then went over it well with black. It has a really cool look of sprinkled sand that really brings out the blue in my dovii.

loganh83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
The Lone Star State
40 breeder sump with most of that being a Fluidized bed chamber running K1 and 2 jebao DCP 10,000 returns. The pumps are both running at 30%, I just like redundancy. I made 2 4 inch PVC canisters that can hold a filter sock or poly pad as the mechanical. The drain lines dump into them. Ammonia and Nitrites at 0 so the old media may be enough until the K1 is colonized.

I'm using a commercial air pump that it way too loud for the living room. I think Ill try a couple small submersible water pumps turned on their side to create a circular flow instead.

Reactions: twentyleagues

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
I'm using a commercial air pump that it way too loud for the living room. I think Ill try a couple small submersible water pumps turned on their side to create a circular flow instead.
Which commercial air pump? I'm currently searching for an air pump for my K1 chamber as well and trying to cross out the really noisy ones..

loganh83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
The Lone Star State
From my research, if it's powerful enough to fluidized the k1 it's pretty loud. Mine came with the tank when I bought it recently. It's about the size of a softball with metal heat fins. There aren't any distinguishing markings on it so I'm not sure LPM. But it looks like the other "commercial air pumps" on amazon.

I just ordered 2 cheap rio submersible water pumps to try them instead. There's a video on YouTube where a guy shows his k1 fluidized filter sump and explains that he uses water pumps on their side to creat a circular flow. Looks like it works well for him. I think his YouTube name is herbie I think.

loganh83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
The Lone Star State
Which commercial air pump? I'm currently searching for an air pump for my K1 chamber as well and trying to cross out the really noisy ones..
Update. I bought a pair of Rio 600 submersible water pumps to replace the loud air pump. I put each pump on its side in opposite corners of the k1 chamber to create a circular flow. It's significantly quieter than the commercial air pump. Most of the media has fluidized but some still floats. I'm hoping as it is colonized that all will fluidize. So far it looks like the water pumps for the win.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Update. I bought a pair of Rio 600 submersible water pumps to replace the loud air pump. I put each pump on its side in opposite corners of the k1 chamber to create a circular flow. It's significantly quieter than the commercial air pump. Most of the media has fluidized but some still floats. I'm hoping as it is colonized that all will fluidize. So far it looks like the water pumps for the win.
Very nice! I use the Rio 200's in my aging barrels and a Rio 20HF to change the water in my 220.

I'm glad to see that the fluidized sump can be run with the water pumps instead of air pumps. That was a big drawback that kept me from looking further into the fluidized media, being that I would have to have a loud air pump to run it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store