New to me acrylic tank miss shaped

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
Hello out there fellow fish heads. So i have spent the last couple months getting this tank up and runnjng. My issus at the momment is it seems the bottom panel of the tank is mishaped. It does not sit flat. First i thought it was the metal stand i had made. It is far from level or square. If sitting on the stand it will rock about a 1/8th of an inch. With no water in it. I put it on 1 inch foam board to beging with thinking it would smoosh and fix it no such luck. This last weekend i cut a peice of plywood to put under it so i new that part was as flat as possible with 1/2 soft foam board still does not sit flat the end do but not the middle does not touch it. I have notice the front and back top lip of the tank are bowed up maybe a 1/8th to a quarter inch not sire if were like this from the begining i never noticed before the end of last week which starting me cutting wood and so forth. My quistion is simple realy is this tank just scrap at this point. Destined to fail and just waiting for seems to pop and make a mess or is there something else i can do to get this right thanks

20201203_194408.jpg

20201203_194345.jpg

20201203_194332.jpg

20201203_194323.jpg

20201203_192001.jpg

20201203_191950.jpg

20201203_191932.jpg

20201203_191928.jpg

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I very well could be wrong but in my opinion that stand does not look up to supporting that tank properly. I can see the quality of its assembly and to me it looks like you did a very nice job building the stand. What concerns me is metal flexes quite a bit. I believe the stand just flexes in the center offering no support for the center of the tank. I believe you either need to add two more leg to the middle of the stand or some 45 degree braces from the existing legs to the center of the stand to keep it from flexing.

Stands made of metal or wood are going to flex under the weight of the tank to conform to the floor. The top of the stand needs to be planer (flat) to support the tank evenly while under the weight of the tank. If the empty tank rocks back and forth on top of the stand the top of the stand is not planer. The easiest way to make the top of the stand is planer is to make it level side to side and front to back then across the diaginals. The problem is you need to level the stand while it is under weight not with an empty tank or no tank as all. I would suggest shimming under the bottom of the legs to make the top planer. I would reccomend a couple of stout guys standing on top of the stand while you are leveling it to provide weight to flex the stand so it conforms to the floor while you are leveling it.

I believe if you can add some support to the middle of the stand and make the top of the stand planer / flat (level in all directions) your tank will be fine. I like the look of your stand and it has a very nice clean presence. I understand that extra legs are going to ruin the asthetic of the stand :( but in my opinion it is what is needed unfortunately. I believe that if you fix the stand to support the tank properly (evenly) your tank will be fine.

This is just my opinion! I could be completely off base!

Last edited:

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
Thanks for the reply and the insight i appreciate it. I actualy did not make the stand i paid 250 to have it made. My specs were to have 45 degree or angle supports on all aspects of the tank it was not done by the maker. When i had it apart last week i did not look to see if it was square emptyied or not on the stand. The stand is made from 1.5 inch rube steel thow pretty sturdy. I was 100 percent sure putting plywopd under it would fix it not the case thow.
I do not have a long square handy right now i will grab one one and check it now this for sure. My eyes play tricks if it is or not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store