New to MFK and have a new Monster Tank that needs to be stocked

TheRayMaster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hello everyone,
I have been on MFK for a little while I guess, reading articles and looking at pictures but this is my first post. I will be trying to update my profile too with all my pics and tank stock lists and stuff too, just like everyone else.
I just got a 200 gallon tank from a guy. It was in alright shape and my brother, and my buddy and I have cleaned it all up and re-done the plumbing and stuff. Its an acrylic tank and it measures 72 in L x 22 in W x 30 in H.
Since all my other tanks are mostly smaller community fish, I wanted to go with something larger in this one.
I've been looking around all the LFS here and seeing what potential big fish I could get and I found some that I like. Of course I won't be able to get all of them, these are just some that were cool looking to me. I would appreciate some feedback or experience with any of them any of you might have had before, how fast they grow, etc., and if you think it will or wont work out. Not too sure about all the scientific names, sorry.

Geophagus (surinamensis)
Gold Severum (Heros severus)
Emperor Pleco (Panaque nigrolineatus)
Synodontis (decorus)
Giant Red Tail Gourami (Osphronemus laticlavus)?
Asian Arowana (Scleropages formosus)
Oscar (Astronotus ocellotus)
Stingray (Potamotrygon Scobina)

I was also interested in these, but I am unsure if they will get along well or not with the rest or if they get too big and might eat the others
Peacock Bass (Cichla ocellaris)
Synodontis (angelicus)
Jaguar Catfish (Liosomadorus oncinus)

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Vcygnus1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2005
THE 850
Ok if I were you I would avoid asian arowana if you are in the states, highly illegal. Besides that most of the fish you listed would do fine, other than the Peacock Bass because they might be a little cramped though. If you took the top list and got rid of the Oscar it would be fine. The reason I say that is because Oscars are docile for cichlids but with a stingray I wouldn't risk it.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
The stingray will eventually outgrow your tank. A 24" wide tank would be better, 30" better still. I've always advocated no plecos with rays as they have a nasty habit of sucking on their disks. RTGG will get huge, so avoid that as well. Oscars never really interested me, so I'd toss them out as well. Stick with the Eartheaters, sev, and MAYBE the cat. Pbass are fine, provided you let the other tankmates get enough food! Ditch the ray unless you plan on upgrading within the year.

Carl D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Doncaster, UK.
Some are good some not.

I wouldn't keep the plec with the ray as aforementioned as the plec sucks on to the rays disc etc.

The Giant Guarami, i feel would be a better choice than the red tailed one. I wouldn't go with any synos, because to be honest the other fish are monsters and they are not. Some are OK with Malawis but i dont think you would see their prime if they were included.

The Geo and Severum are both good choices as i have seen both kept with rays but i dont think oscars are docile!! They should be fine together as long as they can establish their own territories.

I think that the Jaguar catfish will be a little small too. How about a Sun Catfish? I think it would get along with your other proposals happily and grows to about 18 inches which will make it a bit more substantial.

Carl.

skillzdatkillz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2006
somwhere
You could go with a silver arowana. They get huge but it would be fine in that tank for 2+years. And It woud go nicely with pretty much everything in the first list.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
scobina would be better than a motoro. or a hystrix. motoro will outgrow that eventually. the panaque would be a good choice, need driftwood though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store