New to Saltwater

prm

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
the lfs
Pretty soon I am going to set up a 55g fowlr :headbang2 and I was going to get a few Yellow tangs once everything is cycled.

What im wondering is do I need a Skimmer for a fowlr tank and Is there any tips you can give me so I can have a stable tank environ.

mkpeters6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2005
denver/syracuse
you should have a protien skimmer for just about any sw setup, even though you can certainly keep sw w/o one, they are the best filtration option period when it comes to sw tanks -- the first month or two of setting up the tank you really dont need a skimmer yet b/c usually there is not enough organic waste built up in the system yet; however, if you add a lot of live rock that isnt fully cured a skimmer does a great job

my suggestion would be read up alot on keeping a sw tank, they are not that difficult but there are different parameters going on in sw then from fw, but the more knowledge you have before jumping into it the less mistakes your bound to make

romanmann

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2005
british columbia, canada
absolutely skimmer, no question, i would be wary on the few yellow tangs . they will battle bad unless tank is big ie 200 gal. 1 will do well but wait a month or 2 after it is cycled

schulace123

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
MINNESOTA
prm said:
Pretty soon I am going to set up a 55g fowlr :headbang2 and I was going to get a few Yellow tangs once everything is cycled.

What im wondering is do I need a Skimmer for a fowlr tank and Is there any tips you can give me so I can have a stable tank environ.

humm a 55 is to small for any tang...i would go with like a hamlet of some kind those are really cool, just like mini groupers

skinnychinaman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
I agree with a 55 gallon is too small for any type of tangs, besides, if you decide to keep numerous of yellow tangs, they do better with 4+ as only a pair, they will 100% fight. Protein skimmer is essential to all sw tanks, you can go the cheap route and get a CPR bakpak or AquaC remora for much less then a in-sump style skimmer. they are also HOB so you wont need a sump. 55 gallon is really not enough for most of the sw fish, but it will be a great nano-reef tank, fill it up with beautiful corals and just have a few small fish (gobies,blennie,cardinals, clowns, etc) the lower the bio-load the easier to maintain a sw tank.

prm

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
the lfs
I havent even set up the tank yet still planning everything. I now have a wet dry thats meant for up to a 75g tank. I want clownfish, bubbletip anemones, a blenny of some sort. And I am going to get a ramora protein skimmer. Any suggestions for tankmates?

ill_eagle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2005
Waco Ky
get you a good reef going and there is no better fish than a mandarin goby. beutiful littl fish and not very expensive. ive saw them for $10. they need an established reef cause they have small mouthes and eat like works and crustations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store