New to Snakeheads

Kiragacasg95

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Somerset
Hey guys, may have impulse bought a snakehead :$ he/she was so pretty and was fetting picked on by other fish, now i know fron research they dont always stay pretty and they can get pretty big, it is currently in my 2ft quarentine tank, but my main question is, would you believe it
Can i keep my snakehead in with my pleco and false map turtles?
My tank is 4.5ft long, has lots of drift wood and live plants, 2 large gloating platforms, water lettuce on the surface, im not worried about my pleco bullying it as he keeps to himself and the turtles are just to stupid to even realise that another animal is nearby lol
But im more worried that the snakehead will overtake my pleco growth wise and/or start taking chunks out of my plec, he is almost 1ft in size and pretty peacful, comes to my hand blah blah blah and knowing how predatory snakeheads are im worried he'll latch onto either him or my turtles, obviously i didnt think this through at the pet shop, i will upload a photograph of the little beauty when i get home tomorrow to try and get help identifying it but any advice would be useful, unfortunately i dont have the room for a seperate tank for it atm :/+

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Madou Madou

Reactions: tlindsey

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
i'll give you all the infos you need once I see the fish, and have your exact tank measurements. :)
Your tank is long enough for a good few of the species, but is also too small for most so picture and size will be needed. ;)

I can already tell you tankmates are a bad idea, but it looks heavilly planted, so plec might be alright, it all depends on what I asked!

A full tank shot would help as well. :)

I'm iffy on the turtle, I don't know them at all, but am pretty sure they nip whatever they can nip.

Kiragacasg95

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Somerset
Right okay the tank is 4ft not 4ft 5, im not kidding you my turtles are stupid and completely ignore my plec, they nip each other occasionally but unless its small enough to fit in their mouths they ignore it, plec used to be in with clown loaches, all he did was flick them if they came to close to his home and then when out and about hed ignore them 1494778110872-514683859.jpg

I rang the pet shop and got the name of the snakehead today its aparently a Polyptesus delhezi if thats at all helpful, obviously depending on if thats the correct name very silvery colour with distinctive black spots along its spine and a yellow belly, and its just under 1/2 of a ft long, i have more plants that im adding in on their way in the post, any advice would be very helpful, thankyou for getting back to me quickly
And thank you kno4te for linking Madou to my post :)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 J jaws7777 Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 magpie magpie DMD123 DMD123 kno4te kno4te tlindsey tlindsey clm08k clm08k

Kiragacasg95

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Somerset
Okay so from reading that and typing in the latin name in google im finding that its common name is an armoured bichir, i think ive owned a type of these before :S
But of a different species, im assuming their care is similar to its other species being that they are tropical?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay so from reading that and typing in the latin name in google im finding that its common name is an armoured bichir, i think ive owned a type of these before :S
But of a different species, im assuming their care is similar to its other species being that they are tropical?

Yes like Hendre Hendre stated not a snakehead but family polypterus and they require warm water.

Kiragacasg95

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Somerset
Well he/she is currently in the 2ft quarentine tank, it can stay in there for now as it is just basically another planted tropical set up under the larger tank, if needs be i'll have to see if i can fit a larger tank under there for it to live in, i would like to try it in the large tank, but i dont really want to risk it being killed by my pleco o_O
To pretty to send to its death :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store