New to the fish hobby

hunterkevin08

Feeder Fish
Aug 15, 2022
I'm currently new to the fish hobby. I currently got a 100 gallon tank. The dimensions of the tank 36.5Lx26.5Wx25.5H. I'm currently looking to get about 5 shubunkins. I know that goldfish tend to poop a lot that's why I assuming 2 75 Tidal filter and 1 sponge filter or maybe 1 110 Tidal filter and 1 sponge filter or even maybe 2 110 Tidal filter and 1 sponge filter?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm currently new to the fish hobby. I currently got a 100 gallon tank. The dimensions of the tank 36.5Lx26.5Wx25.5H. I'm currently looking to get about 5 shubunkins. I know that goldfish tend to poop a lot that's why I assuming 2 75 Tidal filter and 1 sponge filter or maybe 1 110 Tidal filter and 1 sponge filter or even maybe 2 110 Tidal filter and 1 sponge filter?
Welcome aboard
Tbh it's not all about the filtration weekly water changes and filter maintenance will be the key for the healthy fish. A gravel vac during water changes will remove waste from the bottom.

Reactions: Jexnell

hunterkevin08

Feeder Fish
Aug 15, 2022
Welcome aboard
Tbh it's not all about the filtration weekly water changes and filter maintenance will be the key for the healthy fish. A gravel vac during water changes will remove waste from the bottom.
I'm just considering what filter might be best used like I mention above. Already got gravel, api quick start/ stress coat and a siphon python no spill maintenance system.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Agree that water changes and vacuuming are key. Also keeping filter clean. May want to consider seachem safe for dechlorinating. Much cheaper in long run.
I assume you know about starting an aquarium and the aquarium cycling?

hunterkevin08

Feeder Fish
Aug 15, 2022
Agree that water changes and vacuuming are key. Also keeping filter clean. May want to consider seachem safe for dechlorinating. Much cheaper in long run.
I assume you know about starting an aquarium and the aquarium cycling?
Yes I do I'm just wondering what filtration to use.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If it was me I would go with a pair of Aquaclear 110's. In my opinion it's better to have two filters. If one let's go you still have one running while you fix/replace the broken filter. Aquaclear has been around for ever and are basically the gold standard for tank filtration due to ease of setup, and maintenance both cleaning while in use and availability and ease of replacing broken/worn parts.
With two filters running you can clean one a week in used tank water. Rinse any crub from the bio-rings by swishing them around. Thoroughly rise the sponge and your done takes about five minutes. Clean the left filter this week, next week clean the right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store