Newbie needing RTC help.

worrelk9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2005
Iowa
I can't view any of your pictures because I haven't posted 5 times yet. With this one I should be close. You know what funny? I set up a saltwater tank about 3-4 weeks ago and used RO water with lower PH and it should be brought up and my freshwater tank needs to be brought down. Just can't win. I have 4 other freshwater tanks and eveyones doing well so I guess we'll have to see. I bought the RO water for the saltwater tank so may have to check into getting our own unit. Thanks again everyone and maybe pretty soon I can see your pictures.

Cyclop3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Some people might not agree, but here I go anyways:

I think when you get the fish at a juvenile stage they kinda adapt to your water. I mean this system is very nice, but needs a lot of maintenance/setup/$$$, and is something I will have to wait before setting up. My pH is close to 8.0, and all my south americans do very well in it, no problems whatsoever.

At what pH was the cat kept in before it was given to you, that is the real question. Most fish will adapt eventually to water parameters, but they all hate changes and fluctuations. To prove this a while ago I checked with a couple friends that work at renowned pet stores near my area...well guess what, all fish...except for marine of course, are kept at a pH of 7.6 (including africans et all)...

Of course optimal conditions are better, but animals adapt to the situation. Otherwise no fish would survive fish tanks :)

worrelk9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2005
Iowa
We just did a 35-40% water change and got the PH to about 7.6. Thanks for all your help. We'll keep our fingers crossed that this is the problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store