*Newbie to salt water* helpppp

Shelby Perry

Feeder Fish
Jan 22, 2017
Hello all, I 27 years old and as of yesterday new to the saltwater tank community. I have kept aggressive Central / South American cichlids, big cats, exotics etc for as many years as I can remember but never tried salt water. Yesterday I set up a reg. 20 gallon with a Aqua Clear 30, Top Fin “Argomax Sand” and Instant Ocean salt. Anddddd now I have no idea what to do ‍♂ Currently at 24 hours and still can’t see in the tank at all from cloudy water. Sooooo what now? What else do I need? I’m not going to get to crazy with this. I just want a cool fish or two. Another thing, is this like my freshwater where I can start something cool that gets big in a smaller tank for awile as a grow out with plans of upgrade in future? Also what a cool fish or two combo for a new guy that doesn’t want the norm? Thanks so much in advance and excited to be apart of this community!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello all, I 27 years old and as of yesterday new to the saltwater tank community. I have kept aggressive Central / South American cichlids, big cats, exotics etc for as many years as I can remember but never tried salt water. Yesterday I set up a reg. 20 gallon with a Aqua Clear 30, Top Fin “Argomax Sand” and Instant Ocean salt. Anddddd now I have no idea what to do ‍♂ Currently at 24 hours and still can’t see in the tank at all from cloudy water. Sooooo what now? What else do I need? I’m not going to get to crazy with this. I just want a cool fish or two. Another thing, is this like my freshwater where I can start something cool that gets big in a smaller tank for awile as a grow out with plans of upgrade in future? Also what a cool fish or two combo for a new guy that doesn’t want the norm? Thanks so much in advance and excited to be apart of this community!

Welcome to the dark side lol.
My first question is how are you cycling the aquarium?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would get some good cured live rock and allow that to cycle your tank. Actually very easy, should only take a couple weeks on average and all you have to do is wait for the ammonia to convert to nitrate, same process as freshwater. The die-off from the rock will fuel the cycle. After that I would slowly start adding fish and coral if you want. Many coral need bright lighting, but there are plenty which don't. Acans (micromussa lordhowensis) are really not that picky about light, and require feeding a couple times a week with mysis shrimp or a specialty coral food like rod's.
As far as cool fish, I would browse liveaquaria's nano fish section, and the diver's den. Some cool fish for your tank size off the top of my head: Pink streaked wrasse, goby/shrimp pair, pygmy geometric hawkfish.

Reactions: tlindsey and PYRU
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store