Newest cat to the family

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
As i mentioned in another thread i was going to pick up a fully grown L. Pictus but then i stumbled over this beauty in a fish store i visited this thursday. I didnt get it then and i regreted it so i sent a friend over there today to pick him up. I have wanted a clarotes laticeps for some time now and they happened to have a 40cm specimen instore for a great bargin so i got it. It is currently in a sipaxtank until i get my new tank i picked up yesterday painted and siliconed next weekend. IMG_23241.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That's a rarely kept fish (if the ID stands). Grows big, looks drab is about all I know about it :) We see it every now and then. Hope to learn more through you.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
That's a rarely kept fish (if the ID stands). Grows big, looks drab is about all I know about it :) We see it every now and then. Hope to learn more through you.
Well im not an expert on this species but im quite confident this is a clarotes laticeps. The store it came from didnt know what it was but i saw i right away so i made and offer of 300 sek wich is about 25usd and they took it. I have noticed its not shy at all even with a fully lighted tank its in. Its a very curious fish it comes up to the side of the sipaxtank as soon im geting close to it. Havnt got it to take pellets yet but then i havent had it for more then two day. Mussels and shrimp works fine for now. But will be updating continiously in this thread with growth and behavior.20181112_100423.jpg

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Its been some time in my possession right now and its eating pellets. Its not to fuzzy about food and cruises around every now and then. And has a funny habit of laying vertical against the sipaxtanks walls. Cant wait to move it in to its new home as soon as thats up and running. It will be a blast to see it cruise around my new tank. Its not shy at all wich is a real treat. I measured it to 39cm the other day. Its still to small to sex it but as soon it has grown some more i will try to sex it as i got two friends who owns one clarotes each and they have one of each gender. Its leaning towards a fenale since its not to wide over its head but as said its not that big yet so its hard to tell.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Just a small update on this little bugger. Hes doing great and munching pellets like theres no tomorrow at all. He comes right up to the surface of his tank at the moment. Started to paint the glasspanes for his new home this morning. Think i will need about three layers of black paint to get it all covered as i want it to be. 20181130_164302.jpg

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
There’s a load of these appeared in my country this year. They haven’t seen seen here for about 15 years. Great cats, I did buy one. But rehomed it. Got to big to stop in with the grow ups and to small to go in with the big guys at the time. Look forward to updates.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
There’s a load of these appeared in my country this year. They haven’t seen seen here for about 15 years. Great cats, I did buy one. But rehomed it. Got to big to stop in with the grow ups and to small to go in with the big guys at the time. Look forward to updates.
Where do you live? Here in sweden they are quite rare. This will live with three cichla orinocoensis that is between 40 and 50cm. Then i have a sperata acicularis in a growout tank to. And currently looking for a pterodoras granolosus to add to the family

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Where do you live? Here in sweden they are quite rare. This will live with three cichla orinocoensis that is between 40 and 50cm. Then i have a sperata acicularis in a growout tank to. And currently looking for a pterodoras granolosus to add to the family
Over in the uk. Loads of bacu have appeared aswell, once again a rare fish there’s now loads of. A large one is very rare to see though. HAve two myself. Pretty shy fish I’ve found.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Over in the uk. Loads of bacu have appeared aswell, once again a rare fish there’s now loads of. A large one is very rare to see though. HAve two myself. Pretty shy fish I’ve found.
We hardly see them over here. I have a friend who got one thats about 50cm and has been in that size the last two years. But O.niger we get ****loads of here in sweden at the moment. Two catfishes on my bucketlist right now is as said pterodoras granolosus and a doras carinatus wich is never seen in the hobby from what i can read.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Moved the clarotes from its temporary home in a sipax tank to my 2600L pool. Its settling in well and exploring its new home constantly. Munching on pellets from northfin and whole prawns. Measured it to 43cm when i moved it. Very dosile cat. Whas really easy to move without a fight. Cant wait until it grows even bigger.

20181227_200403.jpg 20181227_195821.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store