newly aquired silver dollars

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I bought 4 tiger and 2 regular silver dollars they are about 4-5 inches they are in my 240 g 6 foot tank . Some look a bit beat up torn fins some missing scales I think the guy I bought them from had a texas cichlid in with them. The the tiger sds have coloured up now as were very washed out when I got plus a 1 hour drive home. None have eaten yet do they need more time to settle in only picked them up yesterday morning. Thinking of getting 2 spotted sd to increase the shoal to 8.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Sounds good! I’d give a bit more time to settle, silvers are voracious eaters once happy, but, like all piranhas, they stress pretty easily.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The 8 Metynnis dollars in a 240g will do very well! And the various common species will all school together and act as a pack, including mock breeding if they are adults.
You may want to have some bottom feeders (cories, pleco, or the like) to eat leftover pieces of food. The dollars are voracious, but also leave lots of little pieces that should best be eaten by a bottom crew.
I have 8 adult Metynnis (3 species) in a 115g (6 foot) and they have been doing great.
What do you call "regular silver dollars"? Would you show here pictures of your tank & fish?

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
yes I have a 6 inch bumble bee catfish who was in another tank in there I call silver ones the regular one I put some flake food in this morning which they very cautiously ate. one of the tiger dollars as a red spot on the guy I bought them from said it is a sign of wanting to breed but the stress of moving a new location may put them off. here are some pictures couldn't get too close though.

IMG_9340.JPG

IMG_9341.JPG

IMG_9342.JPG

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Very nice dollars. The tigers seem adult and very colorful. I am sure they will be spectacular once fully settled in. I see the tiger with the red spot (last photo, center, second from bottom). That is called a humeral spot.
In tiger silver dollars, Metynnis fasciatus, there are 2 small humeral spots, a black one above the lateral line, and a long-shaped, red one red below the lateral line. Only males show the red spot (very rarely female and much fainter anyway). It does not mean that they want to breed; it simply means it is a mature male. But of course, their coloration changes with their mood and sexual activity, and gets turned on and off all the time. From what I see, all your other tigers are female (shape of anal fin), but can't quite see them all on their sides.
Regarding the other dollars, what you referred to was "regular", they look nice as well. They too will color up when happy. You have at least one male and one female, but again, the photos are not close enough and not on the sides so they can be seen well. More photos would allow assessing species and genders.
So about the plants. Anubias, Cryptocoryne, and something else floating. I guess those were already in the tank and the dollars were added a couple of days ago? It would be interesting to see whether they leave them alone or eat them. Both Anubias and Crypts (IMExperience), are plants that stand a chance of being left alone by the dollars. It would be nice. Good luck!

IMG_0572.jpg

Reactions: Deadeye

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
nice setup there. Yes the plants were in there before don't mind if they eat them their fins are healing up quickly all but one were quite beat up when I got them on sunday 2 days later seem to be healing quite fast. Thanks for the info on them.

Reactions: Deadeye

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
Well ordered 3 spotted sd they sent me 4 anyway they are all feeding well, so well they ate all the horn wart most of the jarva fern some of the anabus I guess the 2 crypt plants will be next.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store