Newly planted tank advice please

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
I have a 40 Breeder that I just put Amazon Sword in a week ago. It is a plant from PetSmart that comes in the containers that promise to be snail free. I poured in Flourish and I have been leaving the lights on for 12 hours a day. Some of the leaves are becoming translucent is this normal in the beginning stages?
Thank you for any advice!

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Wideglide04

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2022
NE Alabama
I use root tabs for my sword plants. They say swords are likely to melt at first, but should grow back as long as your feeding the roots not the water column. Or thats my understanding, I've also just planted a sword from petco and mine took about 2 weeks before I saw growth but no melting for me

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
From what I know, the tissue cultured plants like these need an adjustment period in a new environment. Give it some time.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
You don’t mention what substrate or what lighting, but leaving the lights on 12 hrs is high in my opinion, but agree that swords don’t really take much from the water column so need feed in the substrate. Some die back can be expected but will also depend how it was grown to what it is now and how much it has previously been under water (if at all).

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Yes those plants are grown out of water and there will be a transition period once submerged. It is not uncommon to experience melt with some of the leaves. They should start to show new growth.
I have found that purchasing plants from an online source like aquarium Co-Op to be a better investment. Plants have always done better and look healthier. That being said I do have a few nice specimens that were purchased at a Petco.

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
They are in aquarium gravel I will get some root tabs. Lighting is an LED light with white,red,&blue lights no ability to adjust lighting just on/off switch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store