Night time aggression in 75 gallon tank

KingCobra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2005
Florida
As the title states I have a 75 gallon tank.I have a 9-10in midas,7-8in Jack Dempsey and 2 4-5in convicts..one black and one pink. I got them when they were all only a few inches long. A while ago I had a texas cichild which almost died due a fight with my midas.After months of recovering and alot of scars I gave the texas to a good home.He is doing good. Now after that my fish were fine with no problems.My midas owns half the tank and as long as no fish goes there everything is fine.Now for the past month, usually in the day time everything is calm and peaceful and soon as it gets dark out when i got to bed my midas starts to swim to the other side of the tank and starts fights and trouble.All the fish back down to him.He first started picking on my black convict.He would chase him and nip and charge and slam into him against the glass.The black convict only suffered a little bit of a nipped tail.The black convict now goes in his cave where the midas can't harm him.Since the midas can't get the black convict he thenm started going after the pink convict.The convicts swim faster then the midas so it's hard for him to catch them but the pink convict like the black suffered a nipped tail.I went out and got a flower pot and cut it to make an opening where the pink convict can go in.My pink convict loves it and marked it as his territory.He has gotten very territorial over his pot.At night the midas would try to get him in his pot but he can't fit in it.He then tried to knock it over with his bulky body but couldn't because I weighted the top.He finnaly gave up.The next night he went after the dempsey.The dempsey has a flower pot where he goes in and bogwood that has a cave to go in.At night time the fish now hide and protect they're territory but recently the jack has been getting aggressive.He has been attacking the convicts(not really chasing or violent attacks like the midas was doing)
My jack was never really aggressive until now.It's like the midas once one half of the tank and the jack wants the other halk for himself.The pink convict has challenged jaw fights with the black but the black retreats into his cave.The pink isn't really aggressive unless you go near his pot.

I know I need a bigger tank.The 75 gallon tank was plenty for the fish when they were small.They are big now and want more room.I know I could always give away the midas but I won't or give away the other fish and keep the midas but don't want to do that either.I don't have the money now for a larger tank and I will have to wait a few months.
Here are my questions...

What is the MINIMUM size tank I need for my fish?
Why are the fish ESPECIALLY the midas highly aggressive when it's dark?

BTW I'm new here and sorry for a long thread :)

Kutty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Somewhere in S'pore
All the cichlids you have are diurnal. Knowing that the rest sleep at night, the Midas only strikes at night when they are sleeping. Now that the others know the Midas' MODUS OPERANDI, they also 'turn into nocturnal fish' and stay up at night to guard their territories. This gives you the impression that the other cichlids are also aggressive at night. And yes, you definitely need a larger tank. A 5-6ft tank will work for them for life. You simply have to upgrade immediately or sell your fish. You have only these two options now. Either tese, or stop keeping fish altogether. If you don't choose any of the two options, at least 1 of the fish in the tank will die, and I'm sure you don't want that to happen. For the sake of the fish (and yourself), get a larger tank.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
buy a 55g setup at wal-mart for $160, stick some of the fish in it. if you wanna keep them all together, buy a 125g or a 72"x24"x13" 100g

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store