Nikon SU-800

stratusfearrr

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Connecticut
How many of you use it for fish photography? How well does it work.

I read in one of the reviews that it needs absolute line of site, but i feel like thats a stetch. Does the su800 really need to have direct line of sight to the infrared receiver on my sb600?

Regards,
Jake

Roman

Feeder Fish
May 18, 2009
Czech Republic
www.akvarista.cz
Jake,

I am using Nikon's flashs SB800 with two SB600s. I am not persuaded that it need to have direct line of sight.
New models, for example, Nikon D5000, D7000 are using distance, wireless comander based on infrared waves, too; it is cheap way how to verified your hypothese - it is the same princip as Nikon flash SB600. Is it true that wireless commander must be in font of camera, not behind. Between commander and flash must be "free" way for infrared waves. If you are putting any materials to this way, it wouldn't work, of course.

Roman

Roman

stratusfearrr

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Connecticut
Roman,

ok, thank you. That eases my thoughts. So its more of an "unblocked" path than a DIRECT line of sight?

Jake

Roman

Feeder Fish
May 18, 2009
Czech Republic
www.akvarista.cz
Jake,
I am not sure, what you think by term „DIRECT line“. It is not only „straight line“. The flash is emitting light in space angle (for example 140°), the same is doing infrared commander (I think) managing more flashs for example SB200 in front of camera in the same time. The problem is if you put anything reflecting or absorbing infrared waves in front of SB200. For example: if I am putting SB200 into the close aquarium hub, the SB200s is failed (no infrared command is coming into their infrared sensors). Sometime (not often) there is any problems with “interference” of electro source of T8 tubs. But if you have open space above aquarium – there are no problems.

Roman

000c DSC_3895.jpg

000g DSC_3904.jpg

000a DSC_3862.jpg

000eDSC_4428.jpg

000d DSC_3904.jpg

stratusfearrr

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Connecticut
thanks for the info as well as the pictures!

Regards,
Jake

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store