Niterate high

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
after a 2 week water change
im feeding only once a week because I want to see is it I keep feeding daily to make it so high
Hello; You have been given some good advice. Let me add to it. First suggestion is to do the water change (WC) more often. How often is to be determined by results. It may be once a week, twice a week or even every day. When you get it below 20 ppm will be a target most find acceptable.

I get the idea of reduced feedings. Somethings to keep in mind. Even a fish which is not fed at all will continue while alive to metabolize using muscle tissue and eventually internal organs after it uses up the fat reserves. So there is a limit to the effectiveness of reduced feedings. There is also the question of he smaller bits of flesh cast lose when the fish eats. Some fish are very messy eaters. May be that the fish you fed to your fish should be cut into smaller bits that it can swallow more whole. In two weeks the uneaten food will make it way into some place in the tank. If not the filter then in the substrate or other places such as décor. Maybe a good general tank cleaning??

last thing is are the test results accurate. Nitrate test needs to be well shaken. A lot of shaking needed. Also the vials need to be clean. I suggest using distilled water (or DI water) to clean with. Rinse for sure and even allow to sit filled with distilled for a few hours. The distilled water should removed many contaminants. Those contaminants might be skewing your results.

Reactions: twentyleagues

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I may be missing a post or two but have you stepped up the WC schedule yet. Bottom line very likely will be big WC more often. Just saying I don't figure you will find a way around this.

Reactions: jaws7777

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
im planning to do it this weekend so I can test the nitrate level before and after a water change since I changed the water last sunday I want to make it a week to do the test. if it still high I change it 4 days and see. and etc

Reactions: skjl47

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
im planning to do it this weekend so I can test the nitrate level before and after a water change since I changed the water last sunday I want to make it a week to do the test. if it still high I change it 4 days and see. and etc
Can you please clarify what high is? 30ppm, 60ppm, 180ppm?

Reactions: jaws7777

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
Can you please clarify what high is? 30ppm, 60ppm, 180ppm?
my test kit show around 40-80ppm hard to tell which are the right number because 40ppm and 80ppm is almost the same color so i jsut say 40-80ppm. i think thats consider high for a one fish in a 125g tank and i dont feed it too often. im doing another water change tomorrow again and retest the water in 2 days again. my first reading is 40-80ppm, did a 70% water change and tested again in 2 days and it show 40-80ppm im going to do another 70% water change again and retest.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store