CCena

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Real Name
Chad Cena
I have a 55 gallon display tank with about 50 pounds of live rock, ~2-3inch aragonite sand bed, a fluval 406 stuffed with bio media, and a psk 100 skimmer. It is currently lightly stocked with come hermits, some snails, brittle stars, 5 small coral frags (sps and lps) and a mated pair of juvenile clowns with a mandarin dragonet. No ammonia or nitrites to speak of, but even with weekly 10% water changes, my nitrates sneak above 10ppm. I do not have a sump or a refugium, so am wondering if a hang-off-the-back media reactor with a reduced flow rate and packed full of denitrifiers will do the trick, or if there is another way? Any thoughts or suggestions?

And just so the obvious is not stated, no I am not able to set up a sump or refugium.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Thomas Lindsey Sr.
I have a 55 gallon display tank with about 50 pounds of live rock, ~2-3inch aragonite sand bed, a fluval 406 stuffed with bio media, and a psk 100 skimmer. It is currently lightly stocked with come hermits, some snails, brittle stars, 5 small coral frags (sps and lps) and a mated pair of juvenile clowns with a mandarin dragonet. No ammonia or nitrites to speak of, but even with weekly 10% water changes, my nitrates sneak above 10ppm. I do not have a sump or a refugium, so am wondering if a hang-off-the-back media reactor with a reduced flow rate and packed full of denitrifiers will do the trick, or if there is another way? Any thoughts or suggestions?

And just so the obvious is not stated, no I am not able to set up a sump or refugium.

I personally would just increase the wc% to 15 or 20%.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I agree with tlindsey

You'd need gph to get pretty low. You could throw some purigen in an HOB . That would probably be just as effective and less touch and go

PYRU

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
Compton
That canister might be your problem. You have to keep it immaculate for saltwater. What kind of flow are you doing on that tank? and I'm assuming you have your powerheads pointed correctly.

Also how is your rodi setup? What's your tds?

I'd just up my water changes as my first move.

CCena

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Real Name
Chad Cena
That canister might be your problem. You have to keep it immaculate for saltwater. What kind of flow are you doing on that tank? and I'm assuming you have your powerheads pointed correctly.

Also how is your rodi setup? What's your tds?

I'd just up my water changes as my first move.
Thanks for the feedback! How do you mean immaculate? Like take it apart every week and clean it out? With the 406, psk 100 and power heads going I have 2142 gph. In regards to the heads pointed correctly, how do you define that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store