Nitrate on tap (RO advice)

Finksburg

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2019
Maryland, USA
Hello All,
I have a freshwater tank. I recently detected a higher PPM of nitrates on my tap. As I'm working to remedy the issue with my well. I wanted to get something in place for my aquarium. Does anyone have any experience in regards to an RO system that removes nitrates and an easy way to go about water changes in regards to it? I'm assuming I let it drip into a trash can and bucket the water in my tank. I only have a 75g aquarium right now, so do a 30% water change is only about 4-5 buckets.

Any brands in particular you recommend to remove the higher nitrates?

Thanks,

Last edited:

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
What are your nitrates testing at in the tap?

Finksburg

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2019
Maryland, USA
Right around 40ppm. Thanks for the replies. I live in farm country in northern Maryland. Surrounded by horse and cattle farms. I'm sure there is a good portion of run off as I'm on a well.

I'm in the process of installing a reverse osmosis system for my sink to make my drinking water safe. However, I'm a bit concerned I can't do quality water changes off my tap.

I've picked up (2) sets of NitraZorb media off amazon. I'm hoping that helps in the interim as I'm trying to work things out. My filters are (2) AC110s on a 75g aquarium. I'm keeping a juvenile Red Devil. I don't think plants are much of an option right now as the cichlids I've kept before annihilate them. However, I did purchase some duck weed for cheap and I'm toying with the idea of putting that in as a floating plant.

Not really sure what else to do other than get a sterilized trash can and have a RO drip for water changes.

Thanks again for the reply.

Finksburg

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2019
Maryland, USA
Managed to get my Nitrates below 30 with the NitraZorb package. I ordered a 2nd one since one only does 50g. I added the 2nd one tonight. Curious if anyone has any experience with RO/DI systems still. I just wanted to throw out an update that I did get find some temporary relief.

Red Devil is actually looking better today than ever. Hitting top water pellets and banging the glass a bit as a little 4"er.

Thanks again,

Finksburg

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2019
Maryland, USA
Just wanted to drop a line here for those who may have a similar experience. I've read that the Nitrate portion of the API test can be a bit inaccurate. I went to my local water company that services our well. I had them come over to our home just to test the water one more time before I dropped too much money on a RO system. Never the less, they tested the Nitrate level at my home at it was reading 8. The guy was super cool and was interested in the aquarium, so he went ahead and tested my aquarium water as well, it was testing 15.

Long story short, I double checked my tap and aquarium and both were giving me readings of around 40. I know that the test is super temperamental, but its really difficult to distinguish low-medium to medium-high on that API kit. I'm also not 100% sure how accurate it is either. I made sure to follow the directions in the manual 100% accurately as well, with shaking both bottles for 30 seconds and the tube for 60 seconds once both formulas have been added.

My advice if you're having the issue with your tank is to get a professional to double-check before making two steep of investment. The API test doesn't seem to be 100% accurate for Nitrates. I know that seems obvious, but the accuracy portion was a bit surprising to me.

I've read the Salifert kit will give more accurate readings on Nitrate. I plan to try that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store