No more Datnoids

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Well guys I traded my 5 Sumatra Datnoids today for (4) 3.5 in Temensis Peacock Bass. After 2 years of trying to figure out why my Dats would hide from any light, only eat when tank is dark, never showed a true datnoids color and just lay on their side when there were no hiding places I took them back to Excotic Aquariums in sac.
The store owner told me that he remembers the batch of Sumatra Dats cause most of them had been returned for the same reason. He couldn't tell me why they showed wild characteristics as he put it. Im happy with the bass and they seem happy in their new home. Spent a lot of time and money on the dats but saved everything l bought...led lighting..plants..driftwood..substrate..carnivore pellets which dats wouldn't eat. Bass ate small pellets first day. The price of datnoide have trippeled since i bought mine. Could have sold them privately but i wouldn't want anyone to go through what i went through.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
How big were the Sumatra dats? I noticed my info datnoid don’t come out until they get about 7-8”. I grew them out from quarter size.

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
suck about your fish... exotic aquariums, been there a few times that place is awesome. almost went there today after the state fair.

Reactions: Matteus and Durio

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
How big were the Sumatra dats? I noticed my info datnoid don’t come out until they get about 7-8”. I grew them out from quarter size.
Quarter size when I got them 2 years ago..one grew fast 6.5 in, two 5 in, one 4 in and 1 3,5 in. had 2 Siamese Tigers grow to 9.5 in years ago and they were low maintaince, these guys didn't like any light, always hid and when I stripped the tank they would just lay in the corners dark..they may have been wild caught fish store said he had many returns from this batch. Just hated it took so long for me to take em back..but its done

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
suck about your fish... exotic aquariums, been there a few times that place is awesome. almost went there today after the state fair.
yea I like their selection..they were pretty fair with me cause my Dats were very healthy, but I know hes gonna make money off them. He had baby ST for $89 and 4 in 3 bars for $270..I paid $39 for those guys 2 years ago...WOW..a sellers market..peace

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
don't go often because of the long drive up, they had the delhezi bichir I was looking for that no one locally bad. great selection. . wow that's one he'll of a price jump in 2 years .

ICHIBAN TROPICAL FISH

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Steeler city
Well guys I traded my 5 Sumatra Datnoids today for (4) 3.5 in Temensis Peacock Bass. After 2 years of trying to figure out why my Dats would hide from any light, only eat when tank is dark, never showed a true datnoids color and just lay on their side when there were no hiding places I took them back to Excotic Aquariums in sac.
The store owner told me that he remembers the batch of Sumatra Dats cause most of them had been returned for the same reason. He couldn't tell me why they showed wild characteristics as he put it. Im happy with the bass and they seem happy in their new home. Spent a lot of time and money on the dats but saved everything l bought...led lighting..plants..driftwood..substrate..carnivore pellets which dats wouldn't eat. Bass ate small pellets first day. The price of datnoide have trippeled since i bought mine. Could have sold them privately but i wouldn't want anyone to go through what i went through.

You just don't pick up the right datnoids , i just got my new shipment and training them eat pellets in a week , don't give up on this species , datnoids is a great collection fish

Reactions: eeJamBOYan

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
You just don't pick up the right datnoids , i just got my new shipment and training them eat pellets in a week , don't give up on this species , datnoids is a great collection fish
That's the worst thing when u buy a fish that acts that way. It's common with wild fishes and keeping them in groups will just make them more skittish. I never kept datnoid though every time I had siamese carps generally they were the most skittish fish i ever kept so i began to pick up on behavior a little bit each time. The 1st time I was able to decrease panicky or scared movement was by adding substrate as it was originally bare bottom tank, + added 1 other fish to the tank, made them less stressed and all 4 moved around as a school. 2nd time w/a different batch of them I figured out that one of them was more scared vs the other. He would dart then by reaction the more chill one would basically flip out too. Separated them til i added shubunkin goldfish which tought them how to eat, be confident, and just normal. It takes a while but good luck nextime, hopefully u will have a better batch. Also yes, if fish is kept in the dark then pigmentation will not reach potential.

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
That's the worst thing when u buy a fish that acts that way. It's common with wild fishes and keeping them in groups will just make them more skittish. I never kept datnoid though every time I had siamese carps generally they were the most skittish fish i ever kept so i began to pick up on behavior a little bit each time. The 1st time I was able to decrease panicky or scared movement was by adding substrate as it was originally bare bottom tank, + added 1 other fish to the tank, made them less stressed and all 4 moved around as a school. 2nd time w/a different batch of them I figured out that one of them was more scared vs the other. He would dart then by reaction the more chill one would basically flip out too. Separated them til i added shubunkin goldfish which tought them how to eat, be confident, and just normal. It takes a while but good luck nextime, hopefully u will have a better batch. Also yes, if fish is kept in the dark then pigmentation will not reach potential.
I didn't give on the species.. just the 5 I had. I've raised Siamese tigers for years, had a 225 gal plexi glass tank back in the late 70's with 5 really yellow with black 3 bars that I bought for $15 ea. the size of a quarter. Got them to 16-17 inches feeding nothing but feeders(goldfish) and worms when small. Sold them to a lfs cause I had to move and didn't want to risk losing one. Well moving again to the Oregon Coast soon and will start again with my Datnoids. will have to buy them on line. you said you got yours in a shipment? do you know an online source that sells true DATNOIDS? I will be buying and posting in the winter/holiday season. Thanks

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
I didn't give on the species.. just the 5 I had. I've raised Siamese tigers for years, had a 225 gal plexi glass tank back in the late 70's with 5 really yellow with black 3 bars that I bought for $15 ea. the size of a quarter. Got them to 16-17 inches feeding nothing but feeders(goldfish) and worms when small. Sold them to a lfs cause I had to move and didn't want to risk losing one. Well moving again to the Oregon Coast soon and will start again with my Datnoids. will have to buy them on line. you said you got yours in a shipment? do you know an online source that sells true DATNOIDS? I will be buying and posting in the winter/holiday season. Thanks
yes hit me up when you're ready. my boy chan here in denver hook it up // true datnoid & ray keeper + amazing quality. i always wanted to get dats but never really had room for a real predator style community.

Reactions: Durio
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store