Noisy Check Valve

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
The Herbie overflow is dead silent, it works great. There is a slight trickling sound as the water cascades over the weir, but only if you stand close and listen out for it. The Iwaki pump has a slight hum, but nothing you would notice. The jabao backup (if I dare to use it) is silent. I have a great setup.

For less than twenty four hours, I have put a spring check valve on top of the Iwaki. It is difficult to find (locally) threaded PVC check valves. I would have preferred a ball check valve, but cannot source a threaded one anywhere. But the local building superstore had a couple of threaded PVC union spring check valves - the right size too. I would say they were cheap and cheesy. The lower O ring did not quite press firmly against the flange, so I had to fashion an addition O ring from a piece of rubber sheet.

The check valve works well. But it has got this horrible noisy rattling sound. Definitely not what I want. Totally detracts from the quiet fishy viewing experience.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Get rid of the check valve and keep your return lines near the top. Run a sump large enough to hold any back siphoned water during an outage or add a small hole just below the water line of the return for a siphon break.

Check valves fail. It’s not a matter of if but when.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Get rid of the check valve and keep your return lines near the top. Run a sump large enough to hold any back siphoned water during an outage or add a small hole just below the water line of the return for a siphon break.

The sump is large enough. I have been running it without a check valve up to now. The spring check valve that I have now, I am sure will not last.

On other systems, I have been running ball check valves for decades and never had one fail.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

Agree
especially in aquarium settings where detritus like plant leaves or (?) is common.
Even the best check valves eventually fail.

Reactions: Lepisosteus

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
I had this same issue, I bought a cheap spring check-valve at the local hardware store and it rattled a ton, got worse after a couple weeks but never leaked. I ended up getting a swing check-valve from Bulkreefsupply and it is amazing how dead-silent it is. It is pretty expensive but well worth the cost. Below is a link to all their different types of valves (check-valves, ball-valves, gate-valves, etc). Well worth the investment.

Reactions: Midwater

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I also had a problem with noisy check valves. I saw the light and eliminated the check valves (I have 2 pumps) by drilling holes in the pump discharge. Holes drilled right under the water line. I found that check valves go bad, can be noisy and unreliable.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
If you really want to keep the check valve, you could add a threaded socket onto slip joint check valve?

Send me a PM if you want me to mail you a fitting from Australia. Shipping wouldn't be expensive.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Below is a link to all their different types of valves (check-valves, ball-valves, gate-valves, etc). Well worth the investment.
I have just locally ordered an AstralPool ball check valve. No, not cheep.

If you really want to keep the check valve, you could add a threaded socket onto slip joint check valve?
Send me a PM if you want me to mail you a fitting from Australia. Shipping wouldn't be expensive.
Much appreciation for your kind offer.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I have changed the spring check valve for a ball check valve. It cost four times as much and does not feel particularly better quality. It was the only one inch one I could get. All the others were one and a half or two inches.

It is silent though.

I had to tighten up the overflow valve on the Herbie two half turns. That means there is slightly slower flow rate from the pump now. There must be some greater restriction of flow through this ball valve. Maybe in the future, I will change it for a two inch ball valve with reducer fittings to fit it in the rest of the system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store