Not eating live for some reason

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
So typically right before I do a water change, I’ll give live feeders. Most of the time they’ll eat them in a few days but for some reason, they don’t seem to be eating them this time around. I usually give them shrimp to eat on a daily basis and will throw in blood worms every now and again. How long should I leave the live in there before taking them out and setting them free?
Thanks

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
Hopefully they have been removed or eaten by now. After the second day in the tank if they still weren’t eaten I would have taken them out. Then continue with the regular diet.

Reactions: Maximus146

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
Hopefully they have been removed or eaten by now. After the second day in the tank if they still weren’t eaten I would have taken them out. Then continue with the regular diet.
Yeah took them out already. They didn’t eat them all but a decent amount. Whoever got lucky and survived was set free in a creek by my place. Matter of fact, they’ve been hanging in the same spot where I freed them.
Are my guys just lazy and spoiled by not having to chase down their food?

Reactions: 1 2many

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They are probably so accustomed to frozen/pellets that they barely associate live as food. Plus they are likely well fed.
Honestly I’d consider yourself lucky, piranhas aren’t always this easy to get 100% on prepared foods.

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
They are probably so accustomed to frozen/pellets that they barely associate live as food. Plus they are likely well fed.
Honestly I’d consider yourself lucky, piranhas aren’t always this easy to get 100% on prepared foods.
It’s to the point that when they see me coming towards the tank, they start coming to the top to grab it first and swim with the shrimp. The last ones I had I just fed live which is probably why they were so aggressive towards feeders. These guys are spoiled babies….lol

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It’s to the point that when they see me coming towards the tank, they start coming to the top to grab it first and swim with the shrimp. The last ones I had I just fed live which is probably why they were so aggressive towards feeders. These guys are spoiled babies….lol
Now for the million dollar question: will they accept tankmates?
(Likely outcome - those they decide to eat)

Reactions: Maximus146

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
Now for the million dollar question: will they accept tankmates?
(Likely outcome - those they decide to eat)
Your guess is as good as mine. I would have to say no as they ate the pleco I had in there when they were all introduced to the tank together

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store