NOT EATING

piranha_man_dan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
Toronto
My fish will not eat in front of me. they seem totally not interested in anything i drop in and they arn;t aggressive at all. they were at one point but please someone help my fish come back to life!

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
My only suggestion, and this is a guess because I have never had the problem, is that as long as they are at least 4-5" long, reduce how often you feed them to every other day, once aday if smaller, and leave the tank light off while doing so. When you feed them drop in one morsel at a time and only add another after they eat that. Once one starts to feed the others will too. They will eventually start feeding competitively.

FormulatedFire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Baltimore, Md
the method i used to get my p's more aggressive during feedings was to place food in there for 5 mins once a day and if they didnt eat it net it out and after a couple days they want the food so they will eat right infront of you.....also i've heard people feeding enough for 3/4 of the fish so they have to fight for what they want but are still a bit hungry after feeding

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
Not agressive hey !

Well firstly make sure there not pacu some pet stores near me can't even tell the difference between the 2 speices when juviniles and sell pacu off as piranhas.

try moving your tank decor around so that they feel more comfortable create more hiding spaces as these fish are pretty jumpy and are scared of there own reflection ...ha ha ha.

Then if there are still no results starve them for a couple of days then as GUPPY said reduce your feeding to once every other day.

piranha_man_dan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
Toronto
they are p's, they used to eat aggressivly now they dont. i've tried starvin them for like a week., still nuttin unno. maybe there just going through a fase

Mellor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
West Yorkshire, UK
My Sanchezi took absolutely ages to eat in front of me. He refused to eat when the lights were on for the first few months. Now though food isn't allowed to sink and he is aware when the lid is open. He will circle round near the surface.

I guess when they are fully comfortable then they will eat no matter what. I did note that when I asked my father to call round and feed them whilst on holiday, he says it never came out.

FormulatedFire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Baltimore, Md
i have heard that with changes of season p's change their diets but dont worry about the fish it self they are known to go months without eating no problem to them at all

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store