Now its time for an algae eater?

Chris Walrod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2006
Yorba Linda, Ca
Well, my tank is cycling normally, ammonia on the way back down, Nitrates have increased, but (I think) on the way downward. My recent algae bloom is under control.

Question I have for you guys and gals, is it time to add some form of algae eaters? My tank is planted, so I understand Plecos are not advised(??). What do I add to help control the algae build-up?

Thanks!

pseudokeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
Corydoras are always nice. You should get a few. The move around alot so they'll make for some lively additions for you aquarium.

pseudokeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
Also you could consider loaches or a red tail or rainbow shark. However the red tail shark has a tendency to grow dull and become very territorial when it ages.

Pitchar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
As I understand, the Chinese algae eater eats algae for a short time then just stops. Others have recommended the otocinclus as an alternative. I just scrape it off the front of my tank and suck it up in my python

Pitchar

Ruger345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
Germantown,MD
A few Oto cats may help. They are really good about cleaning the glass/decor, but will not eat plants.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
My vote goes for a gang of otos. Otos are some of the best algea eaters IMO. And if you can't find them get a chinese algea eater. Don't get two though cuz they will kill eachother.

Chad

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store