obtaining a permit to keep restricted species!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I know I'm late but what would you do with the water from water changes?
Typically you can just pour it down the drain, you can also use it (not saltwater) to water plants/a garden as the nutrients in fish water feeds plants.

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Typically you can just pour it down the drain, you can also use it (not saltwater) to water plants/a garden as the nutrients in fish water feeds plants.
I think his question was from the permit. In most permits there is a "biohazard" concern regarding the water a species is kept in, so it isn't allowed to simply go down the drain. One of the approved solutions was bleaching every part of water discarded during a water change.

fraukzsent

Feeder Fish
Jul 11, 2023
What if you already owned, given an example, an Asian arowana before it got banned? Are you still allowed to keep it until it dies?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What if you already owned, given an example, an Asian arowana before it got banned? Are you still allowed to keep it until it dies?
Not to my knowledge.
At least with snakeheads, the fish would be confiscated and destroyed. I know they were an invasive vs endangered example, but I doubt you’d still be allowed to keep an Asian aro.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Not to my knowledge.
At least with snakeheads, the fish would be confiscated and destroyed. I know they were an invasive vs endangered example, but I doubt you’d still be allowed to keep an Asian aro.
i think it is different here in Singapore:

For example pignose turtles
They are sort of endangered according to ICUN red list its listed as vulnerable. And in CITES it’s listed in the Appendice 2. Hence its banned as Sg is a signatory or CITES.

But as for those who are allowed to keep PNTs like me under the pre-conservation act. Simply those who bought them before it was banned in 2005 are allowed to keep them. As long as u can prove that your pnt was born before 2005 you are safe as long as your PNT's SCL is >7-8"

Reactions: Deadeye

RadiantSpy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2023
Thanks for sharing the info! Applying for a permit to keep certain fish species can be a bit of a process. It's good to have this resource for those who need it. 👍🐟

fafraname

Feeder Fish
Nov 27, 2023
I don't get how rays could possibly be invasive, they're sensitive. what sucks is that the water really doesn't get warm enough for many of those fish to live long term and cause a problem.

fafraname

Feeder Fish
Nov 27, 2023
I think back on the snakeheads I've kept in the past and wish I could enjoy them again. Yes they were pets. Yes they were dinner. If I had known what would become the end of their stay in America I would have tried harder to maintain the species that others might enjoy them too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store