obtaining a permit to keep restricted species!

Emerson GB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2018
unrelated question xD but whats the largest fish any of you have ever kept and also whats better saltwater or fresh

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I know I'm late but what would you do with the water from water changes? Do you boil it to kill pathogens or something?
You bring up a good point that I have wondered about myself.

I have read and found from personal experience that boiling may kill most, but not all pathegens and algae spores. This evidenced by the fact that microbial can live near boiling water volcanic steam vents. Microbial life is also continually evolving.

We have an excellent sewege treatment facility. Nonetheless I run my water change waste water to buckets and then treat it with a 20% bleach mix. This may be strong but it does the job. Do not use these same buckets for reuse for your fresh water aquarium needs. I let the waste water stand for a few, or as many days as possible so the bleach can dissipate before dispossing of it. Some folks put their waste water or run lines to their outside plant beds or yards.

For some people with very large tanks, or do not have outside grounds, neither method may be viable.

I also am also interested in any ideas concerning treatment and disposal of aquarium waste water for those who have concerns or questions about this subject. Thank you.

Reactions: Jacob92677

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
You bring up a good point that I have wondered about myself.

I have read and found from personal experience that boiling may kill most, but not all pathegens and algae spores. This evidenced by the fact that microbial can live near boiling water volcanic steam vents. Microbial life is also continually evolving.

We have an excellent sewege treatment facility. Nonetheless I run my water change waste water to buckets and then treat it with a 20% bleach mix. This may be strong but it does the job. Do not use these same buckets for reuse for your fresh water aquarium needs. I let the waste water stand for a few, or as many days as possible so the bleach can dissipate before dispossing of it. Some folks put their waste water or run lines to their outside plant beds or yards.

For some people with very large tanks, or do not have outside grounds, neither method may be viable.

I also am also interested in any ideas concerning treatment and disposal of aquarium waste water for those who have concerns or questions about this subject. Thank you.
Ok thanks, I wasn't sure, you'd also have to make certain all equipment does not come into contact with anything that could come into contact with the wild or the wild itself.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I was looking at the current restrictive animal species list on Ca.gov.
(6) Class Mammalia -Mammals (A) Order Primates -Monkeys, Apes: All species (W), except humans in the Family Hominidae are not restricted.

Thank God. I don't need to pull a permit since I am human.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Ok thanks, I wasn't sure, you'd also have to make certain all equipment does not come into contact with anything that could come into contact with the wild or the wild itself.
Pardon me, Original Poster, I just noticed TheReefer TheReefer 's question and thought later about the thread category. No harm and instrusion meant and actually the subject matter of our posts could impact restricted species.

TheReefer TheReefer , another good point. I am not a microbiologist, I think I may have seen one somewhere on here site. I am sorry I don't remember his avatar name or which thread I saw his post, it has been some time and many threads ago.

Some people dispose of their tank waste water in their plant beds or yards. I think that is generally safe. Many variables can be involved. For instance: how long which pathogens can survive out of water, and making certain your aquarium waste water is not near a drain, ditch or waterway. I think the soil acts like a filter. The fish waste water acts as a safe fertilizer for the plants and lawn. Like I said, I prefer bleach, and allow it to dissipate. Even after bleach dissapation, dilution with some tap water.

I use untreated fish waste water occassionally for the house plants, and of course a little fish waste in the aquariums makes the aquatic plants grow well and is part of the tank cycle.

If you suspect or are certain of a pathogen or a stubborn, suspect or unwanted strain of algae and have more than one tank, make certain your equipment is also sterilized before use in the next tank. You probably know to sterilize the inside and outside of your equipment followed by thorough rinses.
Thank you bringing up a good points TheReefer TheReefer .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store