obtaining a permit to keep restricted species!

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
Ooooh, wolf fish :drool:
Am I crazy if I think that macrostoma and unimaculata look more like snakes than the snakehead betta?
Not only look more like snakes than channoides, the unimaculata family also known as the biggest bettas. Their body can reach over 12 cm. And what more interesting about this species is, in trade they came in a pair and most of them are wild caught from borneo or sumatra. You should try them, they're beautiful.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Not only look more like snakes than channoides, the unimaculata family also known as the biggest bettas. Their body can reach over 12 cm. And what more interesting about this species is, in trade they came in a pair and most of them are wild caught from borneo or sumatra. You should try them, they're beautiful.
No tank space now, but when I can I would.

Reactions: bettapatua

Thalassa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2020
how to apply for permit https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=28869&inline

- fee information https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Restricted-Species

if anyone has a fish thats on the list that they just can't live without this will tell you how to apply for a permit and what is required if you keep the fish, heres are the basic things it says:

1. 113$ renewal and a 58$ amendment
2. inspection fees are based on number of enclosures 1-5 enclosures is a 234$ inspection fee and so on
3. enclosures (tanks) must be inspected 2x every year
4. Permits expire one year from the date that the permit is issued.

hope this helps and if their is already another thread on this sorry. maybe it will provide updated info?

snake head?

Chet E.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2021
Minnesota
The politics of the aquarium hobby are fascinating. I once read an article in Aquarium Fish Magazine discussing how hobbyist kept and traded fish under the Communist rule in Russia. I believe the excellence of the hobby today in Russia stems from the abuses the government placed upon the people. The people are literally greatful for their modern freedoms.
I find a similar joy as I continue to keep Hygrophilia polysperma. A plant species hated more greatly than the snakehead. Somewhere along the way, my aquariums became illegal. Now, a criminal, maintaining a banned crop, I smile.
I think back on the snakeheads I've kept in the past and wish I could enjoy them again. Yes they were pets. Yes they were dinner. If I had known what would become the end of their stay in America I would have tried harder to maintain the species that others might enjoy them too.

Jordan11586

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2017
My country have so many variant (or sp.) of this beautiful creature. Try googling "betta unimaculata". This species have complexities. Your picture show betta macrostoma, a relatives of unimaculata, and also relatives to gouramies. If i knew how to safely send fishes across countries, i will happily sent them for you. Snakehead? They swim happily in river or sewer behind my house. We even use them for medicine ?
Send me some baby snakeheads, please!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store